Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Body system cleanse

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Body system cleanse

Postby chrismjx » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:50 am

Maybe this belongs in the Off-Route section, but I'm basically doing this in preparation for the summer season...

Can anyone recommend a system cleanse program? (Or NOT recommend one as the case may be). There are 1000s on the internet; too many to choose from, and I figured at least a few people on this forum would be knowledgeable in this area! I'd love to hear about your personal experiences, positive or negative.

Re: Body system cleanse

Postby crossfitter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:56 am

I recommend the system cleanse program called "your liver and kidneys" coupled with exercise and not eating crap. Your body is well equipped to handle "toxins" and there is absolutely no evidence that cleanses do anything beyond a placebo effect.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby Dave B » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:13 am

crossfitter wrote:I recommend the system cleanse program called "your liver and kidneys" coupled with exercise and not eating crap. Your body is well equipped to handle "toxins" and there is absolutely no evidence that cleanses do anything beyond a placebo effect.

lol

+1

Cleanses are a fad and have little evidence to back up any claims of efficacy. If you desire a diet that will make you feel better simply cut out processed crap. Have fruits and vegetables comprise the majority of your diet, remove fattier meats and eat lotsa beans.

That'll clean you right out.

Edit to add: I tried the juice "cleanse" a la Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead with my wife for four days and never felt crappier. Supposedly you don't begin to feel the "wonderful" benefits till after seven days but I couldn't stand another glass of liquified kale at that point.
Last edited by Dave B on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby TeamDino5280 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:20 am

crossfitter wrote:I recommend the system cleanse program called "your liver and kidneys" coupled with exercise and not eating crap. Your body is well equipped to handle "toxins" and there is absolutely no evidence that cleanses do anything beyond a placebo effect.

+1 on this for sure. Like crossfitter said there are no (credible) documented benefits of doing a cleanse. There are how ever plenty of documented cases suggesting the harm your body can suffer from cleanses. Any thing from fatigue due to lack of protein,carbohydrate and lipid deficiency to anemia and vitamin deficiencies, dehydration. Remember that your body needs all of the above to function properly. Extreme cleanses have even been found to cause damage to the kidneys and other visceral organs.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/detox-diets/AN01334

EDIT*

One thing that my wife and I have started was the Mediterranean diet which is heart healthy and has lots of good proteins and carbs for an active lifestyle especially the WINE!!! haha

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mediterranean-diet/CL00011
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby Jay521 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:39 am

Beer... Lotsa beer... :iluvbeer:
Last edited by Jay521 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby HuskyRunner » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:41 am

I've had kidney surgery twice in the past year and the 'Bowel Prep' and days of liquid diet were loads of fun!

Did find that after not eating much for 2 or 3 days I did have a smaller appetite for a couple of weeks afterwards.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby YooperJonKornely » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:44 am

Schlitz and Taco Bell.... it'll clean you right out! :-D

Postby djkest » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:45 am

My wife has a Master's degree in Food Science and nutrition and what crossfitter said is absolutely correct. I might add that increasing your intake of pure water is one of the best ways. You might also try eliminating all soda and carbonated beverages for a week, apparently carbonated beverages can cause irritable bowel syndrome.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby TravelingMatt » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:59 am

You know those granola bars that advertise 35% fiber? Have three or four of those.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby chrismjx » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:02 pm

Jay521 wrote:Beer... Lotsa beer... :iluvbeer:

^^I like this answer the best so far! :lol:

I knew I'd get a lot of folks saying diet and exercise, cut out processed foods etc. I know that, and normally if you'd asked me I would have answered with the same response. I just started looking at cleanses because its been a really rough winter diet-wise (lots of shitty food, alcohol, and sedentary) and a few of my fitness-minded friends have been doing various cleansing routines lately and reporting positive results for the most part. Also, I read that pesticides and toxins get locked up in your liver and kidneys and are basically never released! Anyone know if that's true or not? I'm really not interested in liquified kale either DaveB.!

I was just wondering that IF a person were to go down the cleansing path to find out what it can offer them, what advice might folks have to share?

Postby England » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Fasting, and lots of water. In the process now. After 24 hours the magic begins.
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

Postby crossfitter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:23 pm

chrismjx wrote:I just started looking at cleanses because its been a really rough winter diet-wise (lots of shitty food, alcohol, and sedentary) and a few of my fitness-minded friends have been doing various cleansing routines lately and reporting positive results for the most part.

It's almost as if they started paying attention to their diet and lifestyle routine.

chrismjx wrote:Also, I read that pesticides and toxins get locked up in your liver and kidneys and are basically never released! Anyone know if that's true or not?

It's not. Your liver and kidneys are custom-built with millions of years of design updates to break down substances. There are substances which won't be removed from your system like heavy metals, but drinking lemon honey-water voodoo slurry won't remove those either.

chrismjx wrote:I was just wondering that IF a person were to go down the cleansing path to find out what it can offer them, what advice might folks have to share?

I have some all natural organic snake oil which will reverse years of aging, improve your mental clarity, burn fat, and provide male enhancement that I'd be willing to sell you.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Next