California July Hike Suggestions?

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
summit2sea
Trip Reports (1)

Re: California July Hike Suggestions?

Post by summit2sea »

Duck Pass Trail http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/rec ... 6&actid=50

Just South of Mammoth Mountain, I did it solo (with dog if truth be told). It was a class 1 (maybe 2 at times) that is 12 miles round trip if you get to the south point of Duck Lake where there's a nice waterfall. Tons of alpine lakes and great Sierra Nevada valleys without the charge (or crowds) of a National Park. One of my favorite trips up there and I drove to my friends' house in San Jose afterwards, easy drive.
Shasta Locales
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shasta Locales »

peter303 wrote:
IHikeLikeAGirl wrote: I was going to sleep in my car at the [Yosemite} TH, if allowed.
We tried to do that several times in college. The Yosemite rangers know most of the hiding places.
We used to be able to use forest lands on either side of Yosemite, but I dont knwo the state of that these days.
If doing Dana, there's a couple of places just outside the park entrance on the east side to stop and sleep in your car. It's a short drive in the morning to the TH. If going to do something inside the park, for instance Half Dome, we used to stop at a Vista Point outside of the west entrance (Don Pedro Lake? I forget) and sleep there. It's a bit longer of a drive in the morning though. Last time we went through (last year) we drove through the park entrance around 4am, and the rangers weren't even taking money yet. When we left it was after 8pm, and the rangers once again weren't manning the entrance station. So yeah, we got a freebie. (Not that I mind supporting the Parks) :-$

Dana, without snow, is pretty similar to some Co 14ers, kind of boulder-hopping type, and since it's Yosemite you can guarantee you won't be alone.

Of the others mentioned that we've done, White Mountain is real nice, real different. We slept at the TH there too, which was fine (The TH is at over 11,000').

Langley kinda sucks. It's long and sandy and not the most scenic. Whitney is of course a fine option, but the main route is 22 miles RT.

Shasta is great, but the main route will probably be snow-free and horrible by July.

Someone mentioned Lassen. The peak trail will only be open certain dates again this summer. In July, probably only over the 4th. It's only 5 mi RT, so probably not worth your drive.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Shasta Locales wrote:Someone mentioned Lassen. The peak trail will only be open certain dates again this summer. In July, probably only over the 4th. It's only 5 mi RT, so probably not worth your drive.
Yeah, I'm familiar with a lot of these suggestions, and most of them generally involve a LOT of driving and paying some sort of fee and getting a permit which is not a 100% slam dunk.

Which is why I suggested the west side of Tahoe. Less than four hours from the Peninsula (Tahoe proper is really 4½ or so), no problem car camping at Wrights Lake, free self-issue permits a la the Maroon Bells, easy to string together a 15+ mile day with some scrambling and all the scenery you could want.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Shasta Locales
14ers: 58 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shasta Locales »

TravelingMatt wrote:
Shasta Locales wrote:Someone mentioned Lassen. The peak trail will only be open certain dates again this summer. In July, probably only over the 4th. It's only 5 mi RT, so probably not worth your drive.
Yeah, I'm familiar with a lot of these suggestions, and most of them generally involve a LOT of driving and paying some sort of fee and getting a permit which is not a 100% slam dunk.

Which is why I suggested the west side of Tahoe. Less than four hours from the Peninsula (Tahoe proper is really 4½ or so), no problem car camping at Wrights Lake, free self-issue permits a la the Maroon Bells, easy to string together a 15+ mile day with some scrambling and all the scenery you could want.
The original post mentioned <7 hours. Most of the Eastern Sierra suggestions would be right up against that.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Few views in the USA or the world are more stunning than when you come over the Oaks entrance pass to enter Yosemite Valley and see Half Dome and granite valley rim walls. If you going for just a scenic mountain place , there are plenty in the eastern Sierra and Tahoe. But if you dont expect to get to this part of the world very often or never seen the valley before, I'd go for the spectacular and put with annoyances of crowded Yosemite. I was fortunate to go to school in the SF area and see these places a couple dozen times. But havent made it back that often since leaving CA and regret it.

Crossing Tioga Pass into Lee Vining and entering Tahoe from I-80 are also good.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Mt. Conness is one of the best scrambles in the Yose area.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

killstorm wrote:Mount Agassiz (13899') is a nice class 2 hike. The route up to Bishop Pass brings you past a number of lakes as well.
IMG_75932sm.jpg
This is an excellent suggestion; tremendous views of the Palisades; Dusy Basin is cool; can go over three by Chocolate Lakes and Cloudripper as well.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Mt. Banner and Ritter are great

Mt. Darwin through Lemarck Col and across Darwin Canyon is awesome

Tromping around the Minerets can't go wrong there

Mt. Morrison from Convict Lake short but cool
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

killstorm wrote:Mount Agassiz (13899') is a nice class 2 hike. The route up to Bishop Pass brings you past a number of lakes as well.
IMG_75932sm.jpg
I second this and add that Mt. Goode would be a great one as well. I did that one last summer and it was loads of fun. Class 2 with a couple class 3 moves.

Goode is across the pass trail from Agassiz and not quite as far up the pass, but roundtrip is just over 10 miles. And you can sleep in the car at the TH. No permit required for a daytrip.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Thank you all, I knew you'd come through!

These all sound perfect for what I seek. And the information about who allows sleeping where and which mountains offer self service permits or no permit at all is MUCH appreciated. This should lessen the number of surprises/hiccups along the way and allow me to have a plan B as well. :-D
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

I would put in another plug for White Mountain or anything in that range. I hiked White Mountain after climbing Whitney and Langely several years ago and it was hot and dry but nice after the Sierras because we didn't see another person and didn't need a permit. Another option is Boundary Peak just across the Nevada state line east of Bishop. It is also part of the White Mountain range and is the highest point in Nevada to boot. There is and interesting Class 3 scramble fom the summit that takes you into California so you can bag a peak in two states on one day. Fun stuff!

Anyway, my 2 cents,

kaiman
melias
14ers: 28 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by melias »

While Langley obviously is no Shasta, I personally really enjoyed the hike and there isn't any red tape (same for White as others noted). There is some sand for sure but some varied terrain and also great camping at Cottonwood Lake #4 -- which will be easily reachable before dark if you get there at some reasonable hour in the afternoon (probably head south via Bakersfield). And if you don't get there early, there is plenty of space to camp in Horseshoe Meadows and it's not a tough day hike. If you go for Langley, check the Whitney Portal Store threads to check conditions on Old Army Pass (far preferable to New Army Pass) -- people usually start posting pictures about now and snowpack was something like 27% of normal so it could be melted out. And since you'll be near Lone Pine, you could take a shot at getting a Whitney walk in permit or doing White also.

Should you end up going over Tioga and considering Boundary (fun but I'd put it behind Langley & White), just be aware that it's a little remote. I recall it being roughly an hour and 15 minute drive (or longer) to get a cell phone signal from the Queen's Canyon Mine trailhead (perhaps 30 minute drive on the dirt road off the highway). Watch out for branches on the drive which could scrape your car -- not sure if those have been trimmed back.