Mt. Wilson Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Mt. Wilson Conditions?

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

Some friends and I were looking to climb/snowboard Mt. Wilson via the Cross Mountain Trailhead in the next couple of weeks. Just curious if anyone had been up that way since benners lovely TR? We are bringing full avalanche gear and expect to start at first light. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
cjw
14ers: 55  55  7 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Mt. Wilson Conditions?

Post by cjw »

I have Silver Pick basin to Rock of Ages Saddle info. We went in Friday (4/26) and set up camp at 11,700 in Silver Pick. It got very cold Friday night. All aspects in Silver Pick were 2" of crust over unconsolidated (this is very different from what we found in Yankee Boy basin two days later), this includes information from a party who skied the Northwest aspect of Wilson Peak. We made it to Rock of Ages Saddle where we had a binding failure that turned us around. Navajo Basin looked similar, boiler plate.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (73.81 KiB) Viewed 571 times
mtnmaneric
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 373
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaneric »

How far did you make it up the road to the Silver Pick TH?
cjw
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cjw »

about a 1/4-1/2 mile short of the Wilson Mesa trailhead.
swbackcountry
14ers: 9  4 
13ers: 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by swbackcountry »

I skied the Slate Creek side Sat.

<12000 is dusty and degrading into isothermic slush. Like the previous post's pics, on the Slate Creek side things >12200 are variable, but a spring corn crust is forming.

In the pic below you can see that the crust isn't that thick yet. I was glad to have skies.
TakeMeToYourSummit
Trip Reports (8)

Hey Dan!

Nice meeting you at the bottom of Gladstone Peak. Your advice on the upper section was very helpful. Luke and I used your bootpack then cut lookers right to rejoin the standard ridge route. Lots of snow on the left of the crux forced us up the right.... a little scary for sure! Props to anyone that has done this in ski boots! After some time on the summit we rode down the col to the top of the Boxcar. 15 - 20 feet of rocks blocks a continuous ride... but after unstrapping and restrapping... SO worth it! ;P Fairly solid snow for the most part. Some signs of runnels forming through the lower cirque... and then a soggy mess back through the trees.

My 14th 14er...
Luke's 4th! \:D/

Overall a great day in the San Juans!

*EDIT: added pictures*
Attachments
Looking down on Dan's tracks.
Looking down on Dan's tracks.
GEDV0023 - Copy.JPG (332.13 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Luke on top.
Luke on top.
GEDV0022 - Copy.JPG (344.35 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Last edited by TakeMeToYourSummit on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 44 22
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

Anyone got a pic of Wilson Peak's NE (Coors) Face?
Good luck breeds bad habits.
swbackcountry
14ers: 9  4 
13ers: 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by swbackcountry »

TakeMeToYourSummit wrote:Hey Dan!

Nice meeting you at the bottom of Gladstone Peak. Your advice on the upper section was very helpful. Luke and I used your bootpack then cut lookers right to rejoin the standard ridge route. Lots of snow on the left of the crux forced us up the right.... a little scary for sure! Props to anyone that has done this in ski boots! After some time on the summit we rode down the col to the top of the Boxcar. 15 - 20 feet of rocks blocks a continuous ride... but after unstrapping and restrapping... SO worth it! ;P Fairly solid snow for the most part. Some signs of runnels forming through the lower cirque... and then a soggy mess back through the trees.

My 14th 14er...
Luke's 4th! \:D/

Overall a great day in the San Juans!

*EDIT: added pictures*
Nice work Gents! Glad to hear you got the glory pitch.
cjw
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cjw »

Wilson Peak picture.
Attachments
wpeakc.jpg
wpeakc.jpg (196.94 KiB) Viewed 356 times
TakeMeToYourSummit
Trip Reports (8)

Nice work Gents! Glad to hear you got the glory pitch.[/quote]

Yeah it turned out to be a really fun line. Thanks again for the skin and bootpacks to ease our work!

The San Juans are just so damn beautiful!
Attachments
Lizard Head and the beyond...
Lizard Head and the beyond...
GEDV0025 - Copy.JPG (345.74 KiB) Viewed 294 times