Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What could possibly go wrong here?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

What could possibly go wrong here?

Postby thetoddman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:10 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/oklahoma-teen-missing-remote-oregon-terrain-111735691.html

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Hope they find this young man alive and ok. Why does this story remind me of the all-too-frequent scenarios one can see on any any summer weekend on any 14er in Colorado?

"Be Prepared" entails just a bit more than going out and buying all the latest and greatest gizmos and setting off on the trails.

Re: What could possibly go wrong here?

Postby ajkagy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:03 am

"and to investigate some churches that practice a South American religion that uses a hallucinogenic tea as a sacrament" :wft:

It's definitely possible to do a "into the wild" lifestyle, but the kid is naive at best. Hopefully they find him and he learns a hard lesson that urban does not equal thriving in the wild.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:42 pm

ajkagy wrote:"and to investigate some churches that practice a South American religion that uses a hallucinogenic tea as a sacrament" :wft:

It's definitely possible to do a "into the wild" lifestyle, but the kid is naive at best. Hopefully they find him and he learns a hard lesson that urban does not equal thriving in the wild.

Bizarre you mention the tea. In my life never heard of the tea thing, but just a few minutes ago before first reading this, I read in a recent Men's Journal mag that it is a problem in South America. People travel to South America for this "tea of mental enlightenment" (or deraingement take your pick) and don't come back (OD), or the women get incapacitated and get raped, or become permanently impaired, etc. Bad stuff. Hope the kid is OK camping in the woods and avoids the tea.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby AndYouSeeMe » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:06 pm

Ayahuasca is not all bad. Much more info out there about its healing and powerful effects than how horrible it is.

Just sayin' it's pretty quick to blame the hallucinogenic tea.

Postby MonGoose » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:07 pm

His journey into the wilderness is inspired by a movie about a man who died in the wilderness. I really hope they are able to find him.

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:14 pm

MonGoose wrote:His journey into the wilderness is inspired by a movie about a man who died in the wilderness. I really hope they are able to find him.

+1 I was thinking the same thing. I hope this story has a better outcome.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby specmiata37 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Everett Ruess also comes to mind.
"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings."
John Muir

grenouille verte
Colorado Cajun

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:14 pm

No, this guy sounds nothing like Everett Reuss.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby mtnduck9 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:30 am

Naive is one thing, but this guy makes me think of the Darwin Awards.

Hopefully he is found, but I'm not too optimistic.

Postby Tortoise1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:13 pm

At least he wasn't counting on berries in the wintertime, to look at the bright side.

Postby mtnduck9 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:29 pm

Actually, who knows? He may have been.

Postby shredthegnar10 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Kind of ironic that, according to the article, a lot of what he did was inspired by stuff "he got off the Internet."
There's a fine line between being a badass and being a dumbass.

ACONCAGUA STYLE

Next