Wild Horse Butte, Utah

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Wild Horse Butte, Utah

Post by ColoradoGuy »

Surely some of you are acquainted with Wild Horse Butte, which is that stunning rock near Goblin Valley State Park and the trailhead to Little Wild Horse Canyon.

Question: Has anyone hiked/climbed this thing? I can't find even one online report of someone who's reached the summit. Also, the only thing on YouTube is a 20-second video of a guy hiking on one of the ridges near that steep vertical layer.

Anyway, here's my photo of this beauty from last weekend:

It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
Vermont Mike
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Wild Horse Butte, Utah

Post by Vermont Mike »

One of my favorite buttes. She's a beaut. Now I need to road trip it to the Swell again.
elhombre
14ers: 31 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elhombre »

Is this one on the road to the Maze ranger outpost? If so, it is a beautiful piece of art work! Always figured you need to be one of those crazy climbers who hammer rebar nails into the walls for pro. Please post all your pictures when you do it.
"You cannot take any people, of any color, and exempt them from the requirements of civilization — including work, behavioral standards, personal responsibility and all the other basic things that the clever intelligentsia disdain — without ruinous consequences to them and to society at large." Thomas Sowell
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=23248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mountainzone.com/mountains/d ... id=3122256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This guy? Looks intimidating!
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
ColoradoGuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

elhombre wrote:Please post all your pictures when you do it.
Um, I'm not doing it. I'm hoping SOMEONE ELSE will do it!

I'm a wimp, ha ha. :)
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
ColoradoGuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

jdorje wrote:http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=23248
http://www.mountainzone.com/mountains/d ... id=3122256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This guy? Looks intimidating!
No doubt intimidating, but with all the people that drive past it who are headed to Goblin Valley or Little Wild Horse Canyon, you'd think SOMEONE would dare to climb it. Hmmm.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Neither LoJ nor any other source seems to even list its known class rating, much less have a record or trip report of anyone climbing it.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Wow, I just spent 30 minutes searching this thing and I couldn't come up with a single source of someone even thinking about climbing it! Mountain Project, Lists of John, nothing. That's kind of hard to believe. Maybe Scott P will know something about it?
Winter8000m
14ers: 29  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Winter8000m »

Looks fun!
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)
ColoradoGuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

JTOlson26 wrote:Wow, I just spent 30 minutes searching this thing and I couldn't come up with a single source of someone even thinking about climbing it! Mountain Project, Lists of John, nothing. That's kind of hard to believe. Maybe Scott P will know something about it?
Exactly! I'm glad I'm not alone in my thinking. :)
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Has anyone hiked/climbed this thing? I can't find even one online report of someone who's reached the summit.
Last report I've heard is that it's still unclimbed. Reports from attempts are that it would be like climbing gram crackers. There is actually a benchmark on top, but it was put up there by helicopter.
Looks fun!
Probably right up your and Brian C's ally.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Scott P wrote:
Has anyone hiked/climbed this thing? I can't find even one online report of someone who's reached the summit.
Last report I've heard is that it's still unclimbed. Reports from attempts are that it would be like climbing gram crackers. There is actually a benchmark on top, but it was put up there by helicopter.
Looks fun!
Probably right up your and Brian C's ally.
Scott - Do you know anybody who attempted it? I'd love to see some up-close photos. Sounds like it'd be worth a look.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth