Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby jdorje » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:25 pm

What a difference a day makes: from the driest day of the year to the wettest. Tuesday was gray-brown skies with dust everywhere. Wednesday was rain/snow, gray misty skies, with tons of moisture and humidity.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby geojed » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:42 am

Getting better, with more on the way! \:D/
Attachments
4-18-2013 7-37-53 AM.jpg
4-18-2013 7-37-53 AM.jpg (193.46 KiB) Viewed 354 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:43 am

Its soooo nice to see that 97%!!
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:07 am

Red snow skis as well as anything else, although with added friction. I think I took this on either Columbia or Massive during one of our more dusty springs. I do remember it was south facing.

Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby ajkagy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 am

Magnum420 wrote:Its soooo nice to see that 97%!!

a bit misleading since it's 97% of normal for a particular date, not 97% of normal peak. water equivalent inches to date is still well below normal, but this will at least extend the snow pack melting date at least.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Glacier advancing south towards BV

Postby Dex » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:59 am

More snow today in BV - cold is keeping on the grassy areas.

In other news - reports are coming in that a glacier has crushed Leadville and is advancing south towards BV
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Re: Glacier advancing south towards BV

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:11 am

Dex wrote:In other news - reports are coming in that a glacier has crushed Leadville and is advancing south towards BV

Does this mean that Ski Cooper is reopening for the weekend?
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby geojed » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:21 am

ajkagy wrote:
Magnum420 wrote:Its soooo nice to see that 97%!!

a bit misleading since it's 97% of normal for a particular date, not 97% of normal peak. water equivalent inches to date is still well below normal, but this will at least extend the snow pack melting date at least.

True. It's 88% of normal peak for the Colorado Basin right now.
Attachments
4-18-2013 10-20-32 AM.jpg
4-18-2013 10-20-32 AM.jpg (138.84 KiB) Viewed 179 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:29 am

a bit misleading since it's 97% of normal for a particular date, not 97% of normal peak.

Its only misleading if you dont know how to read the map/graph. 88-90% of peak is a lot better than I thought we'd see this year. Grizzly Peak (Abasin) is at 96% of peak right now.
Last edited by Magnum420 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby ajkagy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:32 am

Magnum420 wrote:
a bit misleading since it's 97% of normal for a particular date, not 97% of normal peak.

Its only misleading if you dont know how to read the map/graph. 88-90% of peak is a lot better than I thought we'd see this year. Grizzly Peak (Abasin) is at 96% of peak right now.

i agree, definitely good. I'm wondering how the dust layer will affect things going forward. We need to fill those reservoirs up again!
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Magnum420 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:06 am

Hate to see the dust, but a storm or two with dust is pretty normal for CO, right? I think there's been at least one storm with dust every year I've lived here.

As far as the reservoirs go, is a quick melt or a slow melt better?

Postby ajkagy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:13 am

Magnum420 wrote:Hate to see the dust, but a storm or two with dust is pretty normal for CO, right? I think there's been at least one storm with dust every year I've lived here.

As far as the reservoirs go, is a quick melt or a slow melt better?

"normal" is a relative term. We've had at least 4 dust events so far this winter. Before the decades long drought in the SW and the ever increasing disturbance of soil, it was very rare for CO to get any kind of dust. Now they've come with increasing frequency and seem to be getting worse every year.

for stream flows you want a consistent melt, reservoirs it won't matter as much since they just store the water. At the same time you don't want a flood situation from rapid melt either.

PreviousNext