Sneffels on May 4th

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
apasquel
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (31)

Sneffels on May 4th

Post by apasquel »

This time of year, which route do you prefer and why:

1) Yankee Boy Basin (standard)
2) SW ridge from Yankee Boy
3) SW ridge from Blue Lakes
apasquel
Trip Reports (31)

Re: Sneffels on May 4th

Post by apasquel »

Looking at the conditions right now, and what is forecasted in the weeks to come...which trailhead do you believe I can get closer to with a Prius. The Blaine Basin TH or Yankee Boy Basin TH?
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Given we are more than 5 weeks out, hard to say what conditions will look like since a lot of snow could fall in April; but it could also warm and melt out if it stays dry.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

The road will definitely be plowed up to the junction of Yankee boy basin and governors basin roads, and the gate will be open as of may 1st. I'm not sure if you feel like driving a Prius up that road. I know people with 2WD cars have made it, but a Prius has very little clearance.
apasquel
Trip Reports (31)

Sneffels conditions? Avy Conditions?

Post by apasquel »

How are things looking? Looks like there will be a little bit of snow to come in the few days and then a long warm up...is Yankee Boy Basin Rd melting off? Any beta would be great! If you were going to go climb Sneffels in the next week...would you go up the standard approach or one of the Northface routes? And is there a reason why no one seems to climb from the blue lakes approach...is is too steep from the West?
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

apasquel wrote:How are things looking? Looks like there will be a little bit of snow to come in the few days and then a long warm up...is Yankee Boy Basin Rd melting off? Any beta would be great! If you were going to go climb Sneffels in the next week...would you go up the standard approach or one of the Northface routes? And is there a reason why no one seems to climb from the blue lakes approach...is is too steep from the West?
You normally can't drive to the Blue Lakes TH this time of year, so the approach would be really long.
If you can't drive to at least the NF boundary, there might be issues with parking also.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
epacalicious
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by epacalicious »

Hey apasquel,

Not sure of the size of your group, but I'd be interested in joining if you have the room. To sweeten the pot, I can drive my 4WD Blazer in so your prius wont take the beating.

Let me know if you're interested and we can synchronize watches.
Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man ~ Walter Bonatti
apasquel
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

epacalicious wrote:Hey apasquel,

Not sure of the size of your group, but I'd be interested in joining if you have the room. To sweeten the pot, I can drive my 4WD Blazer in so your prius wont take the beating.

Let me know if you're interested and we can synchronize watches.

Hi there epacalicious...snet you a pm, hope it found you. If not, let's talk...