Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Arrow and Trinity in late July

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Arrow and Trinity in late July

Postby Richard Larsen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:16 pm

I am looking for one or more partners that want to do Arrow and Trinity in late July. I live in Vermont, so only come to Colorado once a year, and this is the time I have flights this year. I finished the Hundred Highest in Colorado last year on Jagged, so I am comfortable that I can climb these - but I am not the youngest person around, so am not as fast as some. Expect to go in one day from Molas Pass, hike Trinity the next, and then Arrow and out to Molas on the third day. (Have done Vestal as part of the 100.)

Re: Arrow and Trinity in late July

Postby Tommy Dorr » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:38 pm

PMed you.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby globreal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:24 am

I am looking to climb these same peaks (including Vestal) sometime this year as well. What are your dates?
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby Sky » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:12 am

I'm interested. I have the train pass for the season and would love the join anyone headed down there!
"It is better to have and not need, then to need and not have"

"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go"

Postby Mtnman200 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:42 am

Congrats on completing the centennials. =D> There are not many climbers from outside Colorado who have finished them.

Postby mtnmaneric » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:23 pm

6 of my 9 remaining Centennials are in that area, and I have earmarked late July as well. What dates are being discussed?

Postby Jon Frohlich » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm potentially interested as well depending on the dates. Most of my remaining centennials are in the San Juans so I need to spend some time down there this summer.

Postby Richard Larsen » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:08 pm

I am in Colorado July 17 thru 30. Probably heading to the Uintas (OK, not exactly Colorado, but close) for the first part of my trip. So, my prefered dates for Trinity / Arrow are July 23-25 (Tuesday-Thursday, a problem for many); or, if those don't work, I could consider other dates, even as late as July 26-28, which would be Friday-Sunday. I need to be on the road to Denver by Monday AM.
For these peaks, I don't use the train, the schedule is too confining, and the benefits not that great. From Molas Pass to or from the river adds at most 2-2.5 hours each way, and you can be in Elk Park station a few hours earlier coming from the Pass rather than taking the train. The approach becomes 8 miles each way rather than 5 miles.
Sounds as if a lot of people want to head into this area in late July, although most may be focused on Vestal as the only Centennial. Even if no one's schedule matches mine exactly, or they are doing Vestal instead, might make me willing to head in knowing that others are in the basin.
Rich

Postby Richard Larsen » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Starting to get closer, so thought I would re-activate this thread. I got some responses, but have had trouble with PMs, so have not been able to respond to a few of them. Did find one probable partner. As it stands now, seems we will go in from Molas Pass on July 24, with four days set aside in total so can do all of Vestal, Arrow, Trinity. Might be able to double up one day, and get out a day early. Might do Trinity traverse. Details not totally set in stone yet. If anyone else is interested, please let me know. It is best to contact me directly by email, which is larsen007-at-aol-dot-com. (Type is as a normal aol address, I just wrote it this way because someone told me spam-bots won't pick it up this way.)
As stated earlier, I am not the youngest kid on the block, but did finish the Colorado 100 Highest last year on Jagged - with Dallas and Pigeon the year before - so think I can do these at a reasonable pace. (Have done Vestal before as part of Centennials.)

Postby globreal » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Rich,
I no longer have a back-end date to meet a climbing partner....unfortunately. So I am flexible on my dates.

What are your preferred dates?

Postby Richard Larsen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:26 pm

My preferred date is to go in on the 24th from Molas Pass, with a strategy of Trinities, then Vestal, then Arrow-and-out on the successive dates of the 25th, 26th, 27th. Gets me out late on the 27th, unless we get delayed and out on the 28th. I plan to have food for 4 nights, but a hope not to need all those nights.

Allows me to be not so frantic about getting back to Denver for my departure flight. Of course, if the fates smile upon us and we get good weather, and can double-up on one of the days - we will get out an day or half-day earlier.

Rich