Easiest 14er with Snowshoes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RunRalphieRun
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Easiest 14er with Snowshoes

Post by RunRalphieRun »

Hey Gang,

I'm gonna get out to the beloved hinterland this weekend (probably Saturday) to try and summit a peak, assuming the weather cooperates.

It'll be my first time trying to summit with snowshoes and in late spring. With that being said, which peak poses the least amount of avy danger right now (or in general) and has a reasonably accessible TH?

Thanks for the input and I'm open if anyone wants to join!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Easiest 14er with Snowshoes

Post by Scott P »

Quandary.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

Quandary
mountain hiker
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountain hiker »

quandary standard route (east slope)

or bierstadt standard route (you may only need snowshoes in the valley)
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

mountain hiker wrote:quandary standard route (east slope)

Keep in mind that Guanella Pass road is not open all the way to the Beirstadt trailhead yet.
I'm slower than Scott P.
RunRalphieRun
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RunRalphieRun »

SikYou wrote:
mountain hiker wrote:quandary standard route (east slope)

Keep in mind that Guanella Pass road is not open all the way to the Beirstadt trailhead yet.
Do you know how close I could get to the TH? I'm assuming not all the way to Duck Lake, but maybe the Guanella Pass campground?
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

RunRalphieRun wrote:Do you know how close I could get to the TH? I'm assuming not all the way to Duck Lake, but maybe the Guanella Pass campground?
You will be able to get closer to the TH from the Georgetown side. It is normally plowed to the winter closure (Silver Dollar Lake Cutoff) which I think is about a mile and half from the Pass. It's more like 3 miles of road hiking from the closure on the Grant side.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
AlexMack
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexMack »

Sherman should be pretty doable w snowshoes, I did it about a year ago exactly from the Leadville side. Not sure on the TH condition though. We ditched our snowshoes below the saddle.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Sherman should be pretty doable w snowshoes, I did it about a year ago exactly from the Leadville side.

I respectfully disagree friend. I was up there not too long ago and you definitely needed snowshoes (or skis) on the Leadville side.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.