Water source information for all the 14ers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Water source information for all the 14ers

Post by highpilgrim »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Image
While accurate, that is not quite consistent with 14er bling design. I was thinking more like this:
frozen fish.jpg
frozen fish.jpg (59.78 KiB) Viewed 693 times
It's a little rough but I could polish it up nicely.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

highpilgrim wrote: I have a hard time imagining what a winter fish icon should look like.
fishy.jpeg
fishy.jpeg (8.63 KiB) Viewed 657 times
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I'd be interested in locations for gold and silver deposits, and mushrooms.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I used this map, but when I went up there and all the water was frozen. Who do I submit complaints to?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Scott P wrote: I used this map, but when I went up there all the water was frozen. Who do I submit complaints to?
I think that's obvious...

DYBM!

BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Just another day at the office! 8)

Complaints can be sent to "someoneelseisresponsibleandidemandsatisfaction@14ers.c0m"
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Scott P wrote:I used this map, but when I went up there and all the water was frozen.
Please go back to the route page and cross-reference it with the fire source information tab! :onfire:
Image EW&F: I think one of these is secretly "water."
Last edited by TallGrass on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

ChrisRoberts wrote:
milan wrote:Yeah, this site is full of information, just adding info about water sources on 14ers - it's too much, right? There are like five photographs of cruxes on each of the routes with lines in colors how to get over - just don't add water info, it's too much
How ever will we find water????
Since you responded to my post, I will answer to you. First, I am not saying I can't go to the mountains without a backpack full of printed beta. I just say, it would be nice to have those info available. Nothing more. Second, you posted a map. Now tell me, which of your arrows points to a water source you may use safely without treatment? Since I know the area, I know the most of them are muddy ponds, creeks are connecting them. If you treat it, you probably don't get parasites, you still drink water with strong taste of mud, probably warm in summer. In another areas, you get some heavy metals. I have hiked in many other mountains around the world and I was always drinking from springs or fast flowing streems, less often from high pristine lakes and never had to treat water or filter it. First I did it in RMNP and people freaked out that I am going to die. Well, I learned that drinking from springs or fast flowing (oxygenated) streams tends to be safe. Once in Caucasus, the entire group was drinking from a streem only realizing there was a farm 1 mile upstream and a rottening dead cow was in the middle of that stream. None of us got sick, I guess 1 mile was enough for bacterias to digest it all. And this sort of info is pretty good to have, about springs or about what is upstream. Like there is a spring 300 feet from the campsite, farther up the trail. Or, there is a river but reccomend to filter. Or the river takes water from mines and contains heavy metals. Around the world, lot's of maps have a specific sign for springs safe to drink from, often you may ask the locals. Adding this info on 14ers.com, of course, this would be more work for Bill, who already does so much for us but my general response is, why not to have those information, maybe sometimes. Use them or not.
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

On older maps. Newer topos seem to use a light solid blue line for seasonal drainages and a darker solid blue line for perennial. I prefer the symbology on the older maps.
Thank you Scott P, some of my maps are old. :oops:
Good point about water in the desert of Utah, that is a more complex issue than water on the 14ers.

Filter or treat water before you drink it if you are in Colorado! ](*,) I would even take caution when stashing beer or other drinks in streams to keep them cold.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

milan wrote:
ChrisRoberts wrote:
milan wrote:How ever will we find water????
Second, you posted a map. Now tell me, which of your arrows points to a water source you may use safely without treatment? Since I know the area, I know the most of them are muddy ponds, creeks are connecting them.
And moose!!! Some of those ponds are infected with moose! This is crucial water source data.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

milan wrote:Now tell me, which of your arrows points to a water source you may use safely without treatment?
None of them do. Its a pretty standard practice to treat/filter the water you take from unknown sources, which is what 95% of people would do anyways whether they discovered the water source from their topo or from 14ers.com. Yes, heavy metals are a different story and it would be useful to have a list of water bodies that contain them. Not every stream/lake/pond/puddle that contains water in a 10 mile radius of a 14er.
milan wrote:I have hiked in many other mountains around the world and I was always drinking from springs or fast flowing streems, less often from high pristine lakes and never had to treat water or filter it. First I did it in RMNP and people freaked out that I am going to die. Well, I learned that drinking from springs or fast flowing (oxygenated) streams tends to be safe.
If you want to drink untreated water, you need to do the research. Doesnt sound like a very good idea to post a bunch of potential water sources that people think are OK to drink from without treatment
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

DaveSwink wrote:And moose!!! Some of those ponds are infected with moose! This is crucial water source data.
Guess that scratches Maroon Lake! :lol:
Image <-- and here's some video of "fresh" runoff from a storm that just went through the Bells.
I hear some 14ers are also infected with people! :shock: And some don't keep their cat holes 100' from water sources, much less use a shovel. :wft: :-&
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."