Little Bear, April-May

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Little Bear, April-May

Post by uwe »

Hi,

I'll be leading (2) CMC trips - April 26/27 & April 27/28 up Little Bear Peak.
I'll be sure to post some beta notes for you.

Uwe
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Thanks Uwe
KyleS
14ers: 44  5  7 
13ers: 25 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KyleS »

We're going to attempt this as well - not this weekend but possibly the 20th/21st if anyone else is interested... Otherwise, I'll post a conditions report afterward.

Also, looking from the San Luis Valley this morning, the Blanca Massif is getting hammered. Probably the same wet, heavy snow as we're getting on the San Juan side of the valley.
ETA
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ETA »

I'm looking at the weekend of April 20-21, depending on the weather forecast as it gets closer. I would likely drive down early Saturday and hike to the lake, climb up and pack out Sunday. I'm an average climber and will not be moving fast, if conditions aren't good I'll turn around and save it for another day. It's a great hike up Como Road and I can't wait to get back there.
3 or 4 miles, can't be much further than that.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

If you get out here and the conditions don't cooperate, you can still get this peak via the South West ridge which in my opinion be quite avy safe if the standard route appears not to be. Here is a TR when I climb in March 2011:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd hate for you to come out from New York and not be able to climb.

nyker wrote:I am targeting climbing Little Bear this Spring, the goal being to do it with some snowpack to *ideally* minimize rockfall, etc.

I am planning to do it as an overnighter; i.e. to hike up my favorite road again :shock: then camp around or above the lake and got for it in the early morning. Timing TBD but I'll be watching conditions until Memorial Day, which seems like the far end date for suitable snow conditions.

For those who have climbed it in Spring snow conditions, I'd welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!

Rob
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

KyleS, ETA,
I'm interested in joining along next weekend for Little Bear. Hiking into Lake Como on Saturday and doing Little Bear Sunday before hiking out would probably work best for me.

globreal, Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's possible to do the SW ridge from Lake Como. Don't you have to start around 9,000'? We won't know what the Hourglass looks like until we get pretty close.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

MonGoose wrote:Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's possible to do the SW ridge from Lake Como. Don't you have to start around 9,000'? We won't know what the Hourglass looks like until we get pretty close.
Greetings, THE MonGoose! SW ridge of LB from Lake Como is possible. But please see Surf's "Tour de Little Bear" TR for what not to do. Our descent route would be much more fun to ascend. But on descent, I'd have to recommend sticking to the ridge much longer than we did, then contouring around and past LB Lake to the notch back to Lake Como. This would take forever, and double forever if you wanted to inspect the Hourglass first. Maybe if you did it on a cool, cloudy day you could get back through the LB Lake and Lake Como areas without postholing to your ears. I'd say you should either decide to do the SW ridge the normal way, or have an extra day for the SW Ridge from Como if the Hourglass doesn't look good on the first day.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Is there anyone down in the San Luis Valley area who can post a photo of the Blanca group? Most interested in snow conditions of the Hourglass on Little Bear.

Thanks!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Is there anyone down in the San Luis Valley area who can post a photo of the Blanca group? Most interested in snow conditions of the Hourglass on Little Bear.
I was going to post this Sunday, but forgot. It's before the recent storm though...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/133 ... .48.53.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

globreal wrote:If you get out here and the conditions don't cooperate, you can still get this peak via the South West ridge which in my opinion be quite avy safe if the standard route appears not to be. Here is a TR when I climb in March 2011:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd hate for you to come out from New York and not be able to climb.

nyker wrote:I am targeting climbing Little Bear this Spring, the goal being to do it with some snowpack to *ideally* minimize rockfall, etc.

I am planning to do it as an overnighter; i.e. to hike up my favorite road again :shock: then camp around or above the lake and got for it in the early morning. Timing TBD but I'll be watching conditions until Memorial Day, which seems like the far end date for suitable snow conditions.

For those who have climbed it in Spring snow conditions, I'd welcome your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!

Rob

Thanks globreal, appreciate the thought. I have been thinking of that in the back of my mind...
Last edited by nyker on Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyker
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

ETA wrote:..... It's a great hike up Como Road and I can't wait to get back there.
ETA, May the Force be with you!
big_red_pride
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (6)

Post by big_red_pride »

I have a question as a friend and I are looking at hitting up LB as a snow climb. How much longer do you think the Hourglass will hold the snow before it turns into ice? I assume know one will have an exact answer, but if there is some ideas historically how long it will hold snow that would be helpful. Thanks!