Blanca Snow Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Blanca Snow Conditions?

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Anyone have recent pics of the standard route on Blanca? Snow coverage?
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Blanca Snow Conditions?

Post by blazintoes »

Hey Bill,

This may not help you but I summited March 16th and Como was dry til about 9,500. The trail was firm/boot packed til about 11'000 where snowshoes were needed all the way to when the pitch increases above Blue Lakes. I needed crampons from Blue Lakes to just above Crater Lake. The ledges were tricky because of the ice/steepness however once climbing the saddle, Blanca's NW face was bone dry.
EVEREST DREAMS
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EVEREST DREAMS »

Bill, when were you planning to go there?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

blazintoes wrote:Hey Bill, This may not help you but I summited March 16th and Como was dry til about 9,500. The trail was firm/boot packed til about 11'000 where snowshoes were needed all the way to when the pitch increases above Blue Lakes. I needed crampons from Blue Lakes to just above Crater Lake. The ledges were tricky because of the ice/steepness however once climbing the saddle, Blanca's NW face was bone dry.
Thanks!
EVEREST DREAMS wrote:Bill, when were you planning to go there?
When it has enough snow for a ski. Who knows when/if that will happen this season
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Bill,

Here is a picture taken by Boggy B/Michael Davis from Twin Peaks this last weekend.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3063_o.jpg
Last edited by geojed on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

:(