Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The trench is in on Yale

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

The trench is in on Yale

Postby Dex » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:14 pm

The trench follows the standard route - generally
Once you get to the climbers ridge stay to the right. If you can't find this trail, you shouldn't be on the mountain.

What do you need?
Gaiters and maybe snow shoes for the return trip. I had crampons, snow shoes and an ice axe - I used them all. Start early, while the snow is hard.

I made it to that large rock just below the saddle and turned around from there. I didn't get back to the TH until 7p - the post holing was a killer. But, what choice did I have.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Re: The trench is in on Yale

Postby spiderman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:16 am

Thanks for the info! We are heading up there tonight and camping around 10,600'. Hoping to do Yale and possibly Mascot on Saturday Anybody else planning to be up there this weekend?

Postby Dex » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:08 am

The water is running in the stream.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby spiderman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:12 am

Sweet! I can leave behind the two gallons of water that I was planning to haul up to camp. Was it mixed rock and snow on the ridge? To follow up on that, are microspikes sufficient or would you recommend crampons?

Postby Dex » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Mixed going up to the ridge. Then snow under the trees. It is warm and sunny in the area so thing will be changing quickly. I don't think you need crampons. Boots with good edges would work.
Montani Semper Liberi

Postby Dex » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:07 am

There was some rain in BV on Fri. night. I would be interested on what happened to the conditions on Yale when you get back.
Montani Semper Liberi

Postby Dex » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:57 am

I got a email from someone but their name does not appear in the 14ers member directory. So, I'm answering it here.

-------

I was writing of a trench from the Denny Creek TH. That is the standard route for me. I've never done the Avalanche TH route. If you go to 14ers.com and research the routes that Denny is called the standard route.

Since I haven't done the other route I can not comment on which has more avy danger. But, I don't think there is much if any avy danger on the standard route.

I've done Yale in the March/April time period for the past 6 years - it is my training mountain. I don't move on to another mountain until I get to the top. It takes me awhile because I stick to the standard route (for safety reasons - I go it alone, SAR can find me and get to me in a short period of time). And I'm usually the one stamping out the trail. This year there was a good trail in place up to the hikers ridge.

Normally, before the snow settles, there is one and possibly 2 areas of avy concerns. The first is after you gain the hikers ridge, you go under the trees and then come out to an open area of about 70 - 80 yards - it is steep and fewer trees. I was up to my waist in snow on my way down. On the way up I was able to walk on top of the snow. There is another smaller area of avy concern right after this section - 40 yds? But, the route I did avoids this - it is steeper but OK. Other then those areas I can not think of areas of avy concern. My guess is that many people when starting at the Denny Creen TH do not stick to the standard route. I can see foot prints going all over the place.

As I noted in my post, I previously had crampons, ice axe and snow shoes with me. I debating if I will take only the snow shoes with me next time and maybe microspikes.
Montani Semper Liberi

Postby spiderman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:30 am

Thanks for all of this information, Dex. I had last done it from Avalanche TH in the winter and thought that it was the standard route for the Winter. Anyway, we had a blast on Saturday. It was cool and windy, but not unbearable. There was only a faint trace of a path when we were breaking trail. Made it up to 13,200 and ran out of steam. First 14er attempt of the year for us and it was a good way to warm up the legs. The good news is that we put in a half-decent trench on that route. At least to that point, spikes were not necessary.

Postby moneymike » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:13 pm

I just climbed Yale on Sunday. I followed the Colorado trail from the east, and headed up into the east bowl. I gained the east ridge at about 13 500'. Climbing was simple the entire way. I was either on frozen packed snow below tree line, wind compacted snow above tree line or on bare wind blown slopes. On the ridge I was climbing bare rock or supportable snow. There was no postholing. Climbing was quite simple via this route (in spite of the 50 mph gusts and near zero visibility).

For the skiers: I skied a line directly from the summit into the bowl. I was able to connect patches of snow and ski continuously to 11 000'. You might enjoy my skin track too.

The road was closed a mile and a quarter from the trail head.