where is this (Chamonix)

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

where is this (Chamonix)

Post by pvnisher »

Last time I was in Chamonix I bought a calendar, which included this shot. It did not, however, include a description. I'm headed back this summer and want to go to this station and eat lunch.
So other than "it's in Chamonix", does anyone know where this shot was taken, or even better, which rail line/station it is? In theory I could pull out a topo map, use the sun angle, etc, but figure it's be easier to just ask.
Thanks!
Where_is_this.jpg
Where_is_this.jpg (218.23 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: where is this (Chamonix)

Post by schrund »

Montenvers Train to the Mer de Glace: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... Alpes.html
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=45 ... 5&t=h&z=19

Take a look at the Google Earth stuff of the area. :-D
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Yep, Montenvers it is. Already planning to make a day of it after the climbing.
Alby426
14ers: 33 
13ers: 38 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Alby426 »

Montenvers it is! You have L' Aiguille du Grepon on the right, la Dent du Geant visible first right in the distance and, the big one in the distance is Les Grandes Jorasses.
La Mer de Glace is very interesting to visit, go down the path and descend the ladders (very interesting) and, take your crampons to visit the glacier.
There is also the ice cave, a tourist attraction, that is interesting to visit.
If you get up there early and want to hike a bit, you can take the trail to the Plan des Aiguilles cable car station and descend from there. It's about 1.5 to 2 hours walk and, your return ticket from the Montenvers can be used to descend on the cable car.
If you want to go for a nice training hike, you can go from the Montenvers to the Refuge du Couvercle for lunch and return to the train station : http://www.summitpost.org/refuge-du-couvercle/734413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously, there is more to do in Chamonix than I can tell. What a great place. Have a great time!
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Dent du Geant is on the hit list. Hopefully I'll be looking at it from Montenvers remembering the time up top! :-"