Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

adding ledge/pinky rest to Venom

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

adding ledge/pinky rest to Venom

Postby pvnisher » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:26 pm

After an alpine/mixed session a few days back, I decided that I've had it with the wrist leashes on my Venoms. The axes climb well enough, especially with the tech picks, to satisfy me at this point. But I absolutely hated having to stop all the time to remove the wrist leashes in order to place/remove pro, take out screws, etc.
It seems silly since I'd have to plant the axes, then take my hands out, which meant that I could quite possibly drop one (or both). But I definitely need the leash in order to have a good grasp to pull on the things since they don't have a pinky rest.

So any DIY/aftermarket fixes I can do to add a pinky rest/ledge to the BD Venoms?

I'm looking at the CAMP/Cassin tools a little enviously now, since they have interchangeable grips, additional rests, etc.
http://www.camp-usa.com/products/categories/cassin-technical-ice.asp
But I'd prefer not to drop the money if there's some way to make my Venoms climb a little better, or at least make it so I don't have to waste time every few feet through each pitch.

Re: adding ledge/pinky rest to Venom

Postby dsunwall » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:31 pm

I've often wished for the same thing, haven't done anything about it yet though.

Postby Dave B » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:23 am

My Quarks have a movable trigrest that could probably work on the Venoms. I've held both and the shaft diameters and shapes see, +/- the same. You could probably pick up a set by contacting Petzl directly.

There is also a similar piece on the Sum'Tec that might work better

There is also this I found using a Piece from Grivel. But it looks like a "permanent" addition and would probably make plunging less easy.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby dsunwall » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:20 am

dang Dave, I ordered a couple of trigrests for a sum'teck, returned to this thread and see your link to someone stating they work only marginally well. Now I need to cancel and order the slider. 8-[
but, thanks for the links. :-D

a search for Grivel trigger brings many results, but I haven't found the hardware option yet. so I have plain triggers on order also. I'll let you know in a week which one works if any.

Postby pvnisher » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:04 pm

Definitely let me know if you have any luck doing this mod.

If you have good success, too, I may end up doing the permanent mod on the hammer, and keep the wrist leash on the adze. At least that way I could always have one hand free, and then also have the adze (which I have in the 57cm, hammer is 50cm) available for plunging and more general mountaineering second tool.

In the end I'm going to end up getting a set of dedicated steep tools, but for now I have to make do with what I already own. If BD came out with a Sum'Tec-like slider for the Venom that would be quite nice.

Postby dsunwall » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:58 pm

it looks like the petzl sum'tec trigrest will be perfect. The orange lever has a cam inside, lift it up and the trigrest can slide up. It could accidently slide off the end so you will need something to stop it, a slinger would work. I have not tried it for real yet. I'm thinking I will put some kind of narrow band around the bottom of the shaft, or maybe just a screw, to make sure I never lose the trigrests.

20130402_203544 (Medium).jpg
20130402_203544 (Medium).jpg (215.91 KiB) Viewed 361 times

Postby pvnisher » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:28 pm

That looks just like what I want. Nice to know that it'll work. With a screw or something at the base to make sure the trigger doesn't come off, looks just about right.
Would it hold bodyweight on just the rest (without a screw)?

And how high up inside the shaft does the spike-plug go? Any idea? I'd like to put the safetyscrew as low as possible, but don't want to drill into the spike or damage the glue holding it in (assuming its pressed and glued).

Postby dsunwall » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:04 pm

pvnisher wrote: Would it hold bodyweight on just the rest (without a screw)?

And how high up inside the shaft does the spike-plug go? Any idea? I'd like to put the safetyscrew as low as possible, but don't want to drill into the spike or damage the glue holding it in (assuming its pressed and glued).

the more it's weighted the tighter it gets, so yes it does hold bodyweight on its own. The only time I would worry about it coming off is when I do not have weight on the rest and I accidently bump it. It's not the tightest of fit, maybe why the guy said it's not perfect. The Sum'Tec might have a slightly larger shaft. I do think it will work fine however, seems pretty solid when weighted. Maybe some good tape around the shaft where you want the rest would make it tighter.

If you did drill into the spike and put a screw in would that not help keep the spike in? I do understand the concern though.

From the Mike Bromberg blog.
I used a low powered “screw gun” to drill small holes about 1 cm up from where the spike is attached to the shaft (assumingly by pressure fit/glue) and was easily able to get through the grip and aluminum. The two screws are of course essential in keeping the slider from sliding off the end of the axe. The included hardware, tiny screws meant to thread into the rivets of Grivel axes, worked perfectly and sat more flush into the rubber grip than I anticipated.