Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Avy awareness class wednesday

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Avy awareness class wednesday

Postby mtnfiend » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Little late notice, but I thought I'd spread the word anyways. If you don't want to listen to the presentation, at least stop by for a beer and say hello. Oh, and I'm sure the raffle will be open to everyone besides those coming to hear the presentation....

Upslope Avy Flyer.jpg
Upslope Avy Flyer.jpg (287.09 KiB) Viewed 516 times
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

Re: Avy awareness class wednesday

Postby Steve Climber » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 am

Definitely going to try and make this. Thanks for the heads up!
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:50 am

This was an awesome presentation! Highly recommended to anyone looking for a primer before a Level 1 class. A lot of basic info and some common sense stuff that I already knew (ingredients to avy, avoiding terrain traps, helpful clues to identify potential slides), but also some surprises that I didn't know (like small or sparse trees can actually be a trigger, how far back cornices shear when they fail, an avy can run even on a rough rocky dirt bed when spring melt re-freezes underneath [I've always assumed they only ran on old snow]). If you get a chance to attend one of these, DO IT FOR SURE!
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Postby Carl » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Glad to hear you got so much out of it! I'll be be sure to let the speaker (Shan) know. That wraps up our season of avy awareness presentations but we'll be back at it in the Fall. Still got more events going on though, like the amateur film fest at Wilderness Exchange next Thursday.
http://berthoudpass.org/2013/02/21/amateur-film-festival-2013/

Postby Steve Climber » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:07 am

Definitely let him know :-D He had the perfect amount of info and humor to keep folks engaged. In fact, on our way there, I told my wife "you know this is going to be 2 hours of really interesting stuff for me and totally boring sh*t for you, right?" She agreed and was expecting to spend half the time waiting in the car or getting tanked in the tap room and she was so entertained she stuck it out for the entire presentation.

Postby Aug_Dog » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:00 pm

I really, really enjoyed this session and got a lot out of it. It makes me feel a bit more at ease with getting out into the backcountry, something I have long wanted to do, so thank you! I totally forgot to bring cash for the raffle.

EDIT:

However, I just went to the Friends of Berthoud Pass website and donated $30, so thanks again!

Here's the link if anyone else wants it:

http://berthoudpass.org/membership/

What were the two books recommended? I know one was Snow Sense?
Go get it

Postby Carl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:21 pm

^^^ Thanks!! Soon you'll be wishing those 13ers stayed snow covered longer :-D. I wasn't able to make it up to Boulder Wednesday night but the other book that was recommended was probably Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain by Bruce Tremper. We have a board meeting Monday so I'll double check that. Or someone else feel free to correct me if they recall.

Postby Steve Climber » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:07 am

Carl wrote:^^^ Thanks!! Soon you'll be wishing those 13ers stayed snow covered longer :-D. I wasn't able to make it up to Boulder Wednesday night but the other book that was recommended was probably Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain by Bruce Tremper. We have a board meeting Monday so I'll double check that. Or someone else feel free to correct me if they recall.

Don't recall the book title, but Bruce Tremper rings a bell. I would also love to know if you find out for sure at board meeting.

Postby Bean » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:15 am

Whether or not it was the second recommended book, Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain is (IMO) a must-read for anyone heading out in to the mountains when there's snow on the ground. Snow Sense is great too but it's pretty far on the snow-geek end of things.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Carl » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:40 pm

aboynamedmargrette wrote:I would also love to know if you find out for sure at board meeting.

Yep, we confirmed it was Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain that Shan recommended. Definitely a good read.

Postby FOBP » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:45 am

Wow. Thanks for the kind words.

I really enjoy sharing this stuff and I know most of our Field Team does too. It's hard to get through all the material in two-and-a-half hours... most of us snow nerds could happily yammer away all night!

The crowd at Upslope was attentive, interested and engaged which made it really fun. Also helps that there was beer...

As Carl and Bean pointed out, the two books I recommended are Snow Sense and Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain. There's a TON of good resources online also. A couple places to start are:

BerthoudPass.org Resources
Colorado Avalanche Information Center
Backcountry Access Educational Resources
Avalanche.org Education Resources
Avalanche Training Courses

If you folks ever have any questions, you've got two excellent resources here with Bean and Carl, plus feel free to email me or anyone on the leadership team anytime.

Have a safe spring season and I'll look forward to seeing you again soon.

Cheers,
*Shan