CFI Turning 14ers into 13ers...

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

CFI Turning 14ers into 13ers...

Post by Mindy »

Off thier FB page...

"The first installment of a $1 million grant received today from the Foundation to Reduce Environmental Effects will help CFI reduce Fourteener resource impacts by 8% this year alone through turning the five lowest-elevation Fourteeners into... Thirteeners. Crews working this summer on Mount of the Holy Cross, North Maroon Peak and San Luis Peak will quarry rocks for trail stabilization and reconstruction work from the summits of these three peaks, reducing their elevations by a combined 33 feet. Volunteer projects on Sunshine and Huron Peaks will lop a combined four feet off of these summits through similar work. Recreational use levels and resulting on-the-ground resource impacts on these five Fourteeners are expected to plummet dramatically simply by eliminating their status as Fourteeners. "The easiest way to reduce Fourteener resource impacts is to reduce the number of Fourteeners," said CFI Executive Director Floyd Atherton. "With FREE funding behind us, CFI is up to the task."

Website http://www.14ers.org/
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Re: CFI Turning 14ers into 13ers...

Post by habaceeba »

Won't this just increase the traffic by the same amount on the other 14ers?
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Fantastic idea, except North Maroon isn't even ranked, yet people are all over that thing.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Oh, Mindy!

:-D
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

Nice April Fools!
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

TOTAL B.S!!!! I say Boycott CFI

*looks at calendar...shakes head...goes back to work*
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

You can't spell prank without PR!!!

Nice work CFI...
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

My 13er list just grew! Yes!!!

But what about Bross? Maybe we could create a Kickstarter project to raise funds for that project...

Project funding requirements:
$3 million to buy the summit of Bross
$5 million for permits and legal fees
$2 million for bulldozer rental and debris disposal
-----
$10 million total project budget

Rewards for donating:
$10 gets a 4x6" black-and-white picture of Bross
$50 gets a framable color 8x10" picture
$100 gets a pebble from the summit
$1000 gets a 100-pound sack of pebbles from the summit
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Everyone carry a rock up to the Elbert summit to make it taller than Whitney. We've been humiliated by California too long!
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Oh, Mindy!

:-D
WOW - that was by far the best April Fools joke I have fallen for (the close second being told I had to "tell" the new "voice operated" copy machine at the office to make copies).

Yes - I am the gullible one and was already working on changing all my plans so I could climb them as 14ers whilst simultaneously trying to understand how CFI could just go lop off the tops of mountains!

\:D/
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Wah wah... that's a good one.

Alternate plan A: RAISE the height of Grizzly, Stewart, Columbia, Pigeon, and Ice, making them 14ers and thus spreading out the total impact, lessening the impact on the already existing ones.

Alternate plan B: Dynamite the hell out of the ridge btw Sunlight and the Spire, lowering it 80 feet and making the Spire an official 14er. With the goal of completing all of them out of reach for most of us, 75% of peak baggers lose interest in climbing 14ers.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

That is a pretty good one.

I think piling 2 feet of rocks up in the Challenger-Kit Carson saddle would probably be easier.

Digging off 90 feet from the Sunlight-Sunlight Spire saddle might also be interesting. EDIT: damn, I was too late on this one.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."