Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Quandary Ski 4/5

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Quandary Ski 4/5

Postby jmc5040 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Is anyone interested in skiing the East Ridge of Quandary on 4/5? A few people skied the route this weekend and conditions look good. Send me a PM and we can discuss this more.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Re: Quandary Ski 4/5

Postby GoPackGo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:25 pm

I am looking to ski something on 4/5. I'll follow this thread and see what happens.

Postby Kpobean » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:01 pm

I skied Quandary yesterday- excellent snow conditions- the previous (Tuesday night's) snowfall was rather mild (@ 4 inches) and without much wind. That being said, yesterday it was fairly windy from the false summit and beyond (approx. 15-25mph) and it was transporting snow off the actual ridge itself. The NorthEast bowl (which descends from just below the summit) was in excellent condition. I can only guess todays higher temps and longer spell of sunshine softened things up and thus may provide some stiffer skiing conditions on Friday after tonight's temp drops. All in all I'd say you're good to go!

Postby jmc5040 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Kpobean wrote:I skied Quandary yesterday- excellent snow conditions- the previous (Tuesday night's) snowfall was rather mild (@ 4 inches) and without much wind. That being said, yesterday it was fairly windy from the false summit and beyond (approx. 15-25mph) and it was transporting snow off the actual ridge itself. The NorthEast bowl (which descends from just below the summit) was in excellent condition. I can only guess todays higher temps and longer spell of sunshine softened things up and thus may provide some stiffer skiing conditions on Friday after tonight's temp drops. All in all I'd say you're good to go!

Thanks for the conditions report. I was close to heading up Wednesday myself, but had too much going on. Today, may have been the best day of the week, but tomorrow morning should be good too. Sounds like a lot of people have been up there lately and at least two groups heading up tomorrow.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 pm

I was up there today and posted a couple of pics on the other Quandary thread.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby SolarAlex » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:21 pm

ill be up there tomorrow with 3 others...stoked!

Postby Kpobean » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 pm

jmc5040 wrote:
Kpobean wrote:I skied Quandary yesterday- excellent snow conditions- the previous (Tuesday night's) snowfall was rather mild (@ 4 inches) and without much wind. That being said, yesterday it was fairly windy from the false summit and beyond (approx. 15-25mph) and it was transporting snow off the actual ridge itself. The NorthEast bowl (which descends from just below the summit) was in excellent condition. I can only guess todays higher temps and longer spell of sunshine softened things up and thus may provide some stiffer skiing conditions on Friday after tonight's temp drops. All in all I'd say you're good to go!

Thanks for the conditions report. I was close to heading up Wednesday myself, but had too much going on. Today, may have been the best day of the week, but tomorrow morning should be good too. Sounds like a lot of people have been up there lately and at least two groups heading up tomorrow.

My Pleasure, good luck, have fun!

Postby MonGoose » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:57 pm

I posted a conditions update from today on the other thread. Please read the part about wet-loose slides.

http://14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38115&p=478161#p478161