Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Expedition Pack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Expedition Pack

Postby Randy G. » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:12 am

I need a large Pack for Alaska next year. A local shop has a Gregory Denali Pro for $375.00. Its been in the store for two years but is NEW. Has anyone used this pack? Comments?

Another option is the Mountain Hardware BMG 105 @ $350.00.

The largest pack I have carred is a 75. Any comments on these bags would be helpfull.

THANKS!!!

Randy
"There is no escape from a passion like climbing, even though it may be the path to death"

Re: Expedition Pack

Postby screeman57 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:25 am

I have a Gregory Denali 115 and absolutely love it. The suspension is the most comfortable (and easily adjustable) I've ever experienced. There are several different ways to get to the main storage compartment, so it's great for long approaches and backpacking trips. It's easy to strap extra things on to the outside.

This said, it's such a personal thing--be sure you try it on, work with the straps, etc. before you decide. Will they weight it down and let you walk around for 20-30 minutes (not all places will, IME)? I tried on 25+ packs before I settled on this one (I believe on of them was the MH you mention).
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby USAKeller » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:36 am

Randy G. wrote:I need a large Pack for Alaska next year. A local shop has a Gregory Denali Pro for $375.00. Its been in the store for two years but is NEW. Has anyone used this pack? Comments?

Another option is the Mountain Hardware BMG 105 @ $350.00.

I have been looking at those exact same packs for AK this year! I can't decide yet. I've heard all great things about the MH BMG except for that people keep having trouble with the chest strap breaking. The Gregory pack looks great but is expensive (sounds like you can get a good deal). I'll be curious as to what input other people may have...
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby Randy G. » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Fletch wrote:I'd be happy to let my Gregory Denali Pro go if anyone wants it... I won't be going back to AK for a few years at least... It's just sitting in my closet. Probably better off with someone headed up there soon...

PM Sent!
"There is no escape from a passion like climbing, even though it may be the path to death"