Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter 2012-2013: How'd it go?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Winter 2012-2013: How'd it go?

Postby wildlobo71 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Fletch wrote:Only thing I have to show for this winter is a 7lb 9oz crying and pooping machine... but at least she's cute.

It's been a very good winter... :lol:

Hey, we attacked Bergen Peak with gusto and vigor. James Gusto, and Camron Vigor, remember those two guys? Yeah, they've gone on to bigger and better things, and left you to your cryer and pooper. Congratulations again James - find a reason to meet me for a scotch sometime soon.

As for me, I've managed to put on my traditional "off-season 10 pounds" and been sick a bunch of weekends this winter - this is par for the course. BUT, I did get 3 bling-flakes in Quandary, Pikes and Elbert, two attempted bling-flakes in Sunshine and Redcloud (I blame a shattered air mattress and -15 degrees for that fail), and a spirited effort at Mount Arkansas in what turned out to be the most frustrating outing this season because we should have seen the tea leaves and known we didn't have a chance in that chest deep sugar. In those conditions, I recommend a snorkel and fins.

Bring on the couloirs, bring on the rain drops, the green-leaves, or whatever we are calling the goals for the next three months. See you all up high, I'll be the one gradually regaining my speed!
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby Chicago Transplant » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Quiet climbing winter for me, but they usually are. You can tell how much I have been skiing by the lack of peaks climbed :lol: I still need to get my March peak to keep my "consecutive months with a peak streak" alive, hopefully next weekend it won't be too snowy out and I can get up something "easy". Only 4 weekends of resort season left until I switch from ski lifts to having to use my own power.

Missouri in January, Culebra first weekend of February. Also climbed the 13er Sheridan in January. We finally started to get snow in Feb and I haven't been up a peak since that first week of February because I have been skiing instead to make up for the lack of skiing in Nov/Dec this year and last year's early melt off.

My goal was Evans and Yale, and a bi-centennial in each Jan, Feb and Mar. Got a bi in Jan, and might get one next weekend, so not too good on the goals, but the replacement 14ers were barely on my winter list in the first place so it was nice to get those "bonus" peaks.

Most exciting was finding out we could drive to Rockdale so we could make short work of Mizzou

Most disappointing has been being to darn busy with work (including some weekend OT) to get my darn March peak yet!

Most satisfying would be getting up Culebra in winter and getting to see that peak/area in its winter white!

Goals for next winter, well none really. I don't really have a winter list, I just like to get out on a high peak once a month and tag along with folks during the winter on some of their winter adventures.

Some spring couloir skiing would be great, however. Last year was weak, melted out too fast!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Very busy with school, but I was able to fit in a few fun days
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:20 pm

kimo wrote:But we still chase snowflakes - the soft white pure kind that come from the sky. We summitted 12 peaks this winter, in two national parks, with the highest summit being 12,222 feet asl. Some of the peaks took a solid effort: we put in 40+ miles for Haleakala at the start of winter, and then closed winter with another 40 miles for Stormy Peaks. Stormy Peaks required two full weekends of work through unbroken snow. Some may consider us crazy to put in that kind of effort for a low unknown peak. But in the end, elevation doesn't matter to us – it’s about the experience and pleasure of being in a wilderness environment with great partners, regardless of the elevation. Thanks to those who joined us, with a special thanks to Anna.

Now we look toward continued wilderness adventures.

you're....amazing...dude

Postby zephyr_pelicante » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:33 am

First winter 14er (Sherman)
First winter 13er (Mount Lady Washington)
First winter 12er (Colorado Mines Peak)
First winter 11er (Twin Sisters)

Most memorable was an ascent of Longs Peak and 2 epic treks up Berthoud Pass to climb the 13ers up there.
Total:
9 peaks
22000' elevation gain

I'm jealous of all you that can find the time to get dozens of peaks each month. Looks like I need to start taking more "health" days or claim some more "family emergencies" of mother nature calling me home.

Postby Brian C » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:38 am

TomPierce wrote:...Every time I was poised to launch with a buddy, the weather just went to hell...

Funny how that works! That's how I've felt several times this year as well.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Dad Mike » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:19 pm

So how'd it go? Climbed 26 ranked peaks (23 14ers) and 8 named, unranked peaks. Although most of those were of the solo variety, I did get a chance to hike with some great people...Kevin, Sarah, Darin, Greg and Joe. I also connected with several other 14er.com members for advice, condition reports and failed attempts to hike together.

What were your goals? Climb as many 14ers as my schedule and the weather would allow.

What was your most exciting moment? Climbing Mt. Sneffels with my wife in a whiteout on Valentine's Day

Biggest disappointment? Getting sick and having to postpone my Chicago Basin trip.

Most satisfying accomplishment? 17 out of 17 successful days. I credit this to careful planning, an understanding wife and some luck with good weather on my days off.

Plans/goals/aspirations for next winter? Finish the 14ers

Postby Winter8000m » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:22 pm

”The more 'good fights' a climber has had, the richer he becomes.” Harvey Carter

I've had countless good fights this winter. Really challenging myself mentally, emotionally, and physically whether failures or success. I did things I didn't know I was capable of which also opened more doors for what I believe I can achieve. I am poor. But I am happier and richer then I ever thought I could be. That's what matters to me. Now to a insanely hot summer where I hope I will hibernate somewhere cold.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Congrats, Colby, Mike, and Noah. You guys are kickin' butt.

And a huge congrats to James on the little one!!! =D> =D> =D>

Postby BKS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 am

Since I made a huge life change last fall and moved to summit county, I'll include fall as well.

Fall Accomplishments :
* 5 14er summits
* lost 30 pounds
* increased hiking pace to 1800 vert/hour
* spent too much money on gear according to my family

Winter Accomplishments:
* started training for leadville marathon - current long runs of 11 miles.
* have put 40 days on epic pass
* have become a decent bump skier
* have become comfortable on 45 degree slopes
* Weekly training runs on skins - increased skinning rate to 1800 vert/hour at resorts
* learned its easy not to get out climbing without partner and definite plans even with mts in backyard
* ready for spring mountaineering season - physical conditioning and skiing ability
* spent too much money on gear according to my family

Postby Scott P » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 am

* lost 30 pounds

Impressive!
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Previous