Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Suggestions for 4x4

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status
User avatar
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:10 pm

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby yedi » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:56 pm

pvnisher wrote:Those car-top tents to sleep on top look great. I have trouble finding a vehicle that will fit me (6'2+"), and don't want a longbed truck.
But if I could sleep on top... Now if only they weren't $3,000. That's a bit of money for a tent!


Yeah, they're ridiculously spendy. For me, it was a matter of it being cheaper than three months rent and fit what I needed better than anything else I considered. Also, the resale value of those things is pretty high, so I figured if it didn't work out the way I hoped, I could unload it for most of what I had in it.

Definitely recommend getting off the ground, especially for those moments when, you know, the rogue herd of bison shows up in your campsite.

Buffalo.jpg
Buffalo.jpg (32.62 KiB) Viewed 1168 times

User avatar
Posts: 1857
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 8:30 pm
Location: Golden

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby Carl » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:13 pm

MountainHiker wrote:Carl, is that seat back easily removable without tools?


The portion of the seat that folds up and limits the length you would have for sleeping can be removed fairly easily but it would require removing two bolts per seat. Haven't tried it yet myself.

User avatar
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby mtn_hikin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:05 pm

There is a clown having a moral dilema over owning a Tacoma on another post, maybe you could pick it up cheap.

User avatar
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby pills2619 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:48 pm

^^ =D> i was thinking the same
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 1581
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:46 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby USAKeller » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:33 am

yedi wrote:Definitely recommend getting off the ground, especially for those moments when, you know, the rogue herd of bison shows up in your campsite.

That's awesome! Where was that?

User avatar
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:43 am
Location: Broomfield, CO

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby mtngoat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:56 am

I'm selling my 2004 Grand Cherokee, V8, tow, leather, split rear seats. Lemme know if you're interested. :-)
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

User avatar
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:10 pm

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby yedi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:37 pm

USAKeller wrote:That's awesome! Where was that?


Thanks! It was in the southern unit of Teddy Roosevelt National Park, in North Dakota. The night before that was taken, the entire herd had crossed near our campsite, so we knew they were close. We woke up the next morning to a bunch of really loud snorting and snuffling and realized we were surrounded by 100 or so bison. Definitely the coolest alarm clock I've ever had.

Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:30 pm

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby climbingaggie03 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:57 pm

My wife drives a 2008 4 runner and I'm pretty sure that it'd be fine for sleeping in. I've never bothered to sleep in it, I prefer to sleep in a tent or on the ground, but I think it would work. Hers is 2wd but I've had it on a few trails, most recently lincoln creek road near aspen/independence pass and it had no problems, it's not the narrowest thing in the world, but it's not too bad

User avatar
Posts: 1914
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:55 pm

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby Jon Frohlich » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:21 am

climbingaggie03 wrote:My wife drives a 2008 4 runner and I'm pretty sure that it'd be fine for sleeping in. I've never bothered to sleep in it, I prefer to sleep in a tent or on the ground, but I think it would work. Hers is 2wd but I've had it on a few trails, most recently lincoln creek road near aspen/independence pass and it had no problems, it's not the narrowest thing in the world, but it's not too bad


I drive a 2008 4Runner as well. In order to sleep in it comfortably (unless you're rather short) you have to remove the back seats. It's really not a big deal once you know how. I can get the seats in and out in about 15 minutes. Once the seats are out it's more than long enough.

I'm not even sure why they make 2wd 4Runners. That just seems like a waste.

Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:10 am

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby Alpineair » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:48 am

I'm with Iceman, +1 on the VW Syncro. I really like the truck version, with optional accessories!
Attachments
886350.jpg
886350.jpg (122.48 KiB) Viewed 371 times
I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-stupid!

Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:30 pm

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby climbingaggie03 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Jon Frohlich wrote:I drive a 2008 4Runner as well. In order to sleep in it comfortably (unless you're rather short) you have to remove the back seats. It's really not a big deal once you know how. I can get the seats in and out in about 15 minutes. Once the seats are out it's more than long enough.

I'm not even sure why they make 2wd 4Runners. That just seems like a waste.



Yeah, she bought it before we met so I can't take the blame for it, but we lived in summit county for a winter and it did fine with all season tires, and I think the 2wd version gets a bit better mileage and has fewer things to break. It does kind of make me wonder what kinds of things I could do with it with 4wd.

User avatar
Posts: 948
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:27 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Re: Suggestions for 4x4

Postby geojed » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:23 am

yedi wrote:
pvnisher wrote:Those car-top tents to sleep on top look great. I have trouble finding a vehicle that will fit me (6'2+"), and don't want a longbed truck.
But if I could sleep on top... Now if only they weren't $3,000. That's a bit of money for a tent!


Yeah, they're ridiculously spendy. For me, it was a matter of it being cheaper than three months rent and fit what I needed better than anything else I considered. Also, the resale value of those things is pretty high, so I figured if it didn't work out the way I hoped, I could unload it for most of what I had in it.

Definitely recommend getting off the ground, especially for those moments when, you know, the rogue herd of bison shows up in your campsite.

Buffalo.jpg


Yedi, good thing you were off the ground this could've happened to you! http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/28/the-moment-a-man-is-rammed-by-a-1500-lb-bison-and-survives
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests