What Front Range 13ers Melt Out Fastest?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

What Front Range 13ers Melt Out Fastest?

Post by Aug_Dog »

I'm starting to get antsy. I want to get out and hike/climb. I'm not quite done skiing, but I am ready to hike. I secretly want the snow to melt everywhere except Loveland so I can both hike and ski.

That said and this might make for an interesting discussion, but what Front Range 13ers melt out the fastest? Parnassus' standard route above treeline is almost always doable year-round because of its aspect, but the basin up to treeline will most certainly be deep with snow right now.

Any ideas?

EDIT: oh and I am not really a winter hiker/climber ... yet.
Go get it
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Re: What Front Range 13ers Melt Out Fastest?

Post by Carl »

Aug_Dog wrote: I want to get out and hike/climb. I'm not quite done skiing, but I am ready to hike. I secretly want the snow to melt everywhere except Loveland so I can both hike and ski.

You want to hike/climb stuff and want to ski? If only there was some way of combining both of these things...... :-D
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Obviously the south facing routes will melt out fastest. Parnassus and Bard would be a good spring choice. I also did Chiefs Head's south slopes route last May and it was relatively snow-free (~15 minutes of hiking through snow near treeline). I haven't done it yet, but Silverheels south ridge would probably melt out quickly as well.

Chiefs Head TR (pic 7 shows the south slope): http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Aug_Dog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

Carl wrote:
Aug_Dog wrote: I want to get out and hike/climb. I'm not quite done skiing, but I am ready to hike. I secretly want the snow to melt everywhere except Loveland so I can both hike and ski.

You want to hike/climb stuff and want to ski? If only there was some way of combining both of these things...... :-D
yeah yeah yeah ... :)

i just don't feel that i'm educated enough yet to climb to ski ... i'm gonna start by taking some avy classes soon though ...
Go get it
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

You want to choose routes that have a minimum of cover below treeline. Even better, something that's plowed or used by snowmobiles and is thus packed down. Above treeline you want smooth, gentle terrain.

There's always the Cupid/Sniktau/Grizzly D group. Otherwise the most obvious candidate is Flora from Berthoud Pass.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

If you expand your scope to include 11ers and 12ers, there are some GREAT climbs in the Lost Creek Wilderness Area that tend to melt out early. Check out any trip report by user Derek.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Aug_Dog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

pretty much already had those on the list ... any 13ers in the Sawatch that would melt out quick?
Go get it
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

You can drive pretty high up (stock 4wd) to bag Taylor and Aetna, and it's a southern exposure.

Ouray as soon as Marshall Pass opens might be worth trying.

Everything else I can think of would require Highway 82 to be completely open.

Bull Hill from Black Cloud comes to mind, although it sort of follows a gully which will probably hold a lot of snow. And if box-checking isn't a priority you might as well just do Elbert.

You didn't ask about the Tensquito, but Hoosier Ridge is mostly open and gentle, with some willow bashing at the beginning. Actually a lot of Tensquito peaks might work, depending on road access.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Aug_Dog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

TravelingMatt wrote:You can drive pretty high up (stock 4wd) to bag Taylor and Aetna, and it's a southern exposure.

Ouray as soon as Marshall Pass opens might be worth trying.

Everything else I can think of would require Highway 82 to be completely open.

Bull Hill from Black Cloud comes to mind, although it sort of follows a gully which will probably hold a lot of snow. And if box-checking isn't a priority you might as well just do Elbert.

You didn't ask about the Tensquito, but Hoosier Ridge is mostly open and gentle, with some willow bashing at the beginning. Actually a lot of Tensquito peaks might work, depending on road access.
great thanks for the help ... yes, the tensquito ... go on sir! :)

i'm kind of a box checker but not really ... i just like variation and different scenery ...
Go get it
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Mummy Mountain, SE slopes
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!