Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Should I trade in my Tacoma?

Postby I fall a lot » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:03 pm

Wyoming Bob wrote:(I quit worrying about the yellow light about 125k ago)

Same boat with my 96 Civic, but I'm getting better gas mileage now because it's not letting as much gas in the engine. Before it was about 35 mpg, now about 37.

Now all I have to do is fix my speedometer. :-D

Postby pseudoghost » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:Hello all,

So I have been grappling with this moral dilemma for quite some time. Nearly everything about my lifestyle is environmentally conscious, except for my truck :(

I own a 2008 Toyota Tacoma, V6, manual transmission and get a maximum of 25 mpg on the highway and thats driving like a tortoise which I am known for doing just to keep the fuel consumption down (not a money thing, an enviro thing).

I would like a car somewhat mountain savvy, sleeps 1 comfortably and descent mpg (mid to high 30s). Don't really want a Honda RAV or CRV or Ford Escape but I know they are not too bad. Was looking at an Impreza or Golf GTI. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Dare I go Prius??? Thanks a lot.

I'd say that the improvement from mid-20s mileage, to mid-30s mileage is not worth your time. If you're really that concerned about it, then the only way to go is with a Prius.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:27 pm

pvnisher wrote:1) slow down
2) accelerate less
3) don't tailgate (even if you call if "drafting", it still burns gas inefficiently because of the frequent on/off)
4) DOn't run the A/C so much.

God forbid people slow the f**k down. These are great pointers that I know I follow. My absolute favorite is people putting their foot down going uphill. Wtf....

As you said, requires just a little thought.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby Porkrind » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:54 pm

I have a '99 Tacoma (SR5, 4 cyl) that gets about 25mpg and has 345,000 miles. It's still running fine and I'm using it every day.
Nothing beats Toyota reliability whichs translates into buying fewer new cars.

Postby Alpine » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 pm

TallGrass wrote:You could explore "hypermiling" with your Tacoma such as .... seeing if they make a taller rear end (gear ratio),

Can we go back to this one for a minute? I have not done very much homework on this so I may well be wrong, but I do wonder about it.

On the surface this makes sense since the tires would be rotating less and thus the engine using less gas, for the same miles driven. However, isnt there more to it? Primarily, the idea that engines (actually not only the engine but the entire drivetrain and even the overall vehicle itself) are tuned as a system - generally to make best use of the engines torque curve. So that if you changed the gearing to a numerically lower number it is possible that the engine is actually becoming less efficient and instead using more gasoline rather than less?

I have a personal example of this - whether or not this example proves anything or is just one example under very specific conditions or not, I dont know, but empirically it seems to make sense: My last Jeep was lifted and running on 33 inch tires (the stock tires were maybe 29 inches or so) but not re-geared. Anyway, the times I got the best gas mileage was when I was going up mountain passes in 2nd gear. ie better MPG when the engine was running at a higher RPM. My explanation is that the engine was operating closer to its peak torque at this higher RPM and thus more efficient.

Maybe the idea of a re-gearing would work, but only as long as if it didn't push the engine too far outside its torque band.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day

Postby djkest » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:30 pm

I recently test drove a 2013 Outback with a 6-speed manual. Really, really liked it. It looked like there was room in the back to sleep but I didn't personally lay down in there.

Your mileage will be 8-10 mpg more than what you can manage with your Tacoma, I'd guess. Pretty good in the snow and not too bad offroad- within reason. It won't be a tacoma on the worse of roads, obviously.

There is supposed to be a deisel verson coming out that gets even better mileage. Not sure if that is actually going to happen though.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:43 pm

Abe - this is nonsense, enjoy your Taco!

Remember this - just because someone shops at Whole Foods, drives a Prius, drinks Nonfat Chai Soy Latte's, doesn't eat meat, wears Patagonia (and lets everyone know its recycled) or Tele-ski, doesn't mean their s**t doesn't stink.

Postby leggaj5 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:57 pm

lordhelmut wrote:Abe - this is nonsense, enjoy your Taco!

Remember this - just because someone shops at Whole Foods, drives a Prius, drinks Nonfat Chai Soy Latte's, doesn't eat meat, wears Patagonia (and lets everyone know its recycled) or Tele-ski, doesn't mean their s**t doesn't stink.

In fact, it probably smells a lot worse.

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:02 pm

Keep your Tacoma! I love mine ('02), and will keep it till it dies. Same with my newly acquired '97 Subi Outback (saving the populace of WNY from my demented grandma's driving). Amazingly they get about the same gas mileage, with the Subi getting about 3-5mpg more on average. But the Subi has crap for clearance, and will only be a winter vehicle.

I also walk to work, so my vehicles sit during the week. If you get a Prius, then what are you really saving, if you are only driving on the weekends to trailheads anyway? You'll have to park miles away, since it has no clearance. Plus have you thought about what goes into those batteries? Those are not recyclable and contain rare earth metals acquired in war torn 3rd world countries. Plus you have to use electricity from coal burning plants and other sources of less than ideal nonrenewable nature. I almost think electric cars are currently more wasteful and less ecologically minded than keeping an old vehicle running. But that's my opinion!

OR sell your vehicle, go car-less and beg rides from friends. See how well that works, or not...
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:15 pm

Also - a little more constructive post.

I own a 2006 Subaru Impreza "Outback Sport" (not a WRX). I've made it to Price, Utah on 1 tank from Denver. It was reaching new levels of "E" I never knew existed. That's 415 miles on a 15.9 gallon tank, which comes out to 26 mpg's. Just a FYI. As some have said before, the Impreza's aren't known for their interior space either.

Also want to add a +1 to the new 6-speed Outback's, as they seem to be everything you'd look for in an Impreza, times 2.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Fletch's detailed Wicki response nails down a few particulars not generally known among Prius environmentalists. I'm not condemning the car, but the environment takes quite a hit (mining and chemical responses in manufacturing) to make C02 and hydrocarbons pale in comparison.

Hydrogen fuel cell technology may be a better choice ... thoughts?
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby mtnfiend » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Fletch wrote:I'm no chemist
Fletch, I think you meant metallurgist. :wink:

Environmentalism aside for a second, economically speaking you will never recoup the added cost of the hybrid (versus a non-hybrid) with gas savings over the life of the vehicle, especially with how little you drive.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

PreviousNext