Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

TOPO! National Geographic software Utah

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: TOPO! National Geographic software Utah

Postby Steve Knapp » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:23 am

One of the things I like about TOPO is the ability to trace a potential route in advance of a hike to get a rough idea of distance/gain. Do some of the new online mapping sites have that too? Seems like I've tried to do this before but could not figure out how to get anything but a combination of straight lines, which actual routes never follow.

Postby dsunwall » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Steve Knapp wrote:One of the things I like about TOPO is the ability to trace a potential route in advance of a hike to get a rough idea of distance/gain. Do some of the new online mapping sites have that too? Seems like I've tried to do this before but could not figure out how to get anything but a combination of straight lines, which actual routes never follow.

In Caltopo when making a line you simply left click every time you want to change directions, it really isn't much slower than the freehand route tool in Topo!. You then have the profile tool that gives you a graph with elevations and distance just like Topo!. I don't think it would be much less accurate than the freehand tool, which never comes out exactly the same as your GPS track or map given mileage anyway. You are fooling yourself if you think can get as close as pushing a handwheel along the trail. For one thing you never will know what is correct, unless you do use a handwheel, and they work only on good trails.

Postby Kane » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:43 pm

I discovered how to transfer waypoints from Google Earth to my Garmin 60csx. It works flawlessly and going forward I won't need NG topo maps :-D Its certainly more work, however I can get used to it. It appears this process will not download a Google Earth route into a GPS. But waypoints...No Problem. The following is an excellent tutorial. I had to down load the free Garmin Basecamp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5yYjNipfEw

Kane

Postby Scott P » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:34 pm

PS, where you headed to in Utah/Arizona?
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Rarefied » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Kane --

It's not NG but this .... http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/513/ .... plus MapSource/BaseCamp can set you up with waypoints and much more. (All are free downloads.)

R

Postby Kane » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:49 am

Scott, headed back out to Zion for some backcountry backpacking which includes possible a accents of S Guardian Angle and Destination Peak. Also headed to White Pocket, Horseshoe Canyon and Tatahatso Point at the Grand Canyon. Should be spectacular!

Previous