Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter 2012-2013: How'd it go?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Winter 2012-2013: How'd it go?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:16 pm

On this first full day of Spring 2013, a look back and a big congrats to everyone out there this past winter. Many of you worked very hard and got a lot of peaks in sometimes challenging conditions.

So how'd it go? What were your goals? What was your most exciting moment? Biggest disappointment? Most satisfying accomplishment?

Plans/goals/aspirations for next winter?

Re: Winter 2012-2013: How'd it go?

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:21 pm

I wanted to reach 25 winter 14ers, and only got to 23. The ice climbing bug bit me hard and occupied most of my late January and February. I also repeated Elbert on a perfect weather weekend to hang with some good friends. My goal for next winter will be 30, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Colorado's finest climbing months are just around the corner. Bring on the couloirs!

Congrats to those who had strong snowflake seasons, there are quite a few of you. Nice work!
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby ameristrat » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:29 pm

I got a few under my belt which was really all I hoped to do - I wanted to meet some new climbing buddies and learn some new skills. Good winter in my book! It's hard to tear myself away from the slopes though... :mrgreen:
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:38 pm

I only wanted a few new snowflakes, so I'm quite happy with the 4 I got. It started snowing in Feb, so skiing became more important. Got a few sweet, steep lines in RMNP done. Couple more mellower ones in the Tetons last week. Good news, ski mountaineering season is only just gearing up! Ready for the couloir climbs and ski downs!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Exiled Michigander » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:41 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:I wanted to reach 25 winter 14ers, and only got to 23

Yeah, rub it in a bit more. :mrgreen: I must say though, I have enjoyed living vicariously through yours and others' trip reports. There were some real winter warriors on the summits this year.

I had hoped for 4 or 5, only got 2 in. Seems like every free weekend I had this year the weather was poor-even with the 2 I did get in. But as a Tigers and Lions fan, I'm used to saying "There's always next year . . . "

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm

So how'd it go?
I climbed and skied james peak.

What were your goals?
to climb and ski james peak.

What was your most exciting moment?
powder turns off the summit of james peak

Biggest disappointment?
the flats above the glacier were bone dry.

Most satisfying accomplishment?
making a winter summit ski descent of james peak

Plans/goals/aspirations for next winter?
To climb and ski James Peak of course!

Postby Scott P » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:31 pm

Perhaps not as much was completed as in some previous years, but we did have some good times.

Trip logs:

http://www.summitpost.org/2012-trip-log/770043

http://www.summitpost.org/2013-trip-log/833850

December:

It was a good month. 14 mountains climbed; 23 days of hiking/climbing.

Did Shrine Mountain with the kids early in the month.

December 8 through January 3, I took a nice trip with my son Kessler to the Himalaya:

http://www.summitpost.org/a-return-to-the-himalaya/838418

January:

4 mountains climbed; days of hiking/climbing. It was disappointing because sickness and weather took a toll on trips and we didn't get out much. On January 19 though, I climbed Mount Sherman with some 14ers.com and summitpost members. It was an enjoyable climb and the first January Colorado 14er for my 10 year old son.

February:

5 mountains climbed; 9 days of hiking/climbing; and four technical canyons. We did climb some mountains, but I think canyoneering was the highlight for this month. The kids and I did several technical canyons with Matt Lemke (14ers.com member) and my dad in the North Wash and Maidenwater area of Utah. A week later we did some more technical canyons with some old friends and my wife came along as well.

March:

One one peak climbed in winter; 6 days of hiking/climbing. Kessler and I had a good adventure on New York Mountain, but we didn't reach the summit. Besides that, the theme has been desert hiking. We did some challenging routes in Canyonlands National Park and the pretty easy Muley Twist Loop.

So far this winter; I've been getting out less (with the exception of the Nepal trip) than in previous years (which is disappointing, especially in January). We've been doing much more swimming and biking though. Still, there were some great times to be had. We had some good times though.

Next winter, I don't have many specific goals yet, other than we are going to do lots of stuff in Trinidad and Tabago in December. I will also finally get to go to Freeze Fest (canyoneering gathering) again. Oh, and I want to meet and climb with more of you guys. Have to make that a goal too. :wink:
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Steve Climber » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Pretty lazy winter this year...I had Tour De Longs set as my only mountain goal, but didn't put too much effort into it.

1st shot: Felt like crap the morning of what was probably the best chance...so skipped going (with GeoJed and Yikes).
2nd shot: Skunked just above treeline by massive wind the next weekend (solo).
3rd shot: Skunked by sore knee at Chasm junction last weekend (solo).

All three of those could be classified as my biggest disappointment.

Only other peak was Torreys via Kelso which was an absolute blast (satisfying and exciting). And since it wasn't a goal (tagged along at the last minute) I'll take it as a nice bonus :mrgreen: though it's where I aggravated my knee to start with
Other than that, rode a few hundred miles on the road bike, took the 4 legger out to the dog park a ton, and did a couple low-key hikes with visiting friends around Left Hand.

No plans yet for next winter (not much even in stone for the summer), but I would love to take on a few spring cols and get ready for an August attempt on Pfiffner Traverse. Other than that, I want to get out and hike/climb as much as time will allow, hike with some more 14ers folks, and avoid any injuries.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.

Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?

Postby TomPierce » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:10 pm

I slogged up a few 14ers in each of the winter months, just fitness stuff, local repeats. But as part of a climbing project I'm working on, I have a bucket list goal to climb the 3 Centennial 5th class peaks in winter (Dallas, Jagged, Teakettle). But alas it was not to be this year, it was absolutely uncanny how the weather kept thwarting my attempts. Every time I was poised to launch with a buddy, the weather just went to hell (e.g. forecasted -30 temps, 100% snow). The one week when I had to go out of town for a work emergency? You guessed it, stellar weather for a Jagged attempt! Another attempt on Teakettle had to be aborted the day before I left when my partner fell ill, perfectly understandable (been there before myself).

Oh well, c'est la vie, such is the climbing game. Next year!
-Tom

Postby rijaca » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:59 pm

I've had fun!
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby nkan02 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:40 pm

My goal was to get to 20 14ers this winter, I got to 19. Pretty close! :)

Some highlights:

- Longs (Cables route). My intention was to continue to hone my winter hiking skills on "easier" 14ers, but Longs Peak proved to be an unexpected opportunity in early January and I simply could not turn it down. Greg, thanks again for being a great partner and leader.
- Blanca, at about 13 hours RT, proved to be the most physically demanding, but also very rewarding, and it was an honor to share the summit with Brad and Aaron. It could have been just a tad warmer!
- Concerned about winter access issues, I was happy to be on Huron, on a stellar day, and in a great company. Thank you Jeff, Ben & John for that day. It remains one of my favorite peaks, in any season.
- I continued to enjoy my days on Columbia (3 times & counting), having a stellar weather and Jim as the company.

I rounded up my winter haul with DeCalibron, which took two takes, as the first day proved to be super windy and we only were able to summit Lincoln. On the disappointment front, I was hoping to get a few more summits (Shav/Tab, Grays/Torreys), but plans got shelved/postponed due to weather a few times.
I want to sincerely thank all my hiking partners this winter for making plans, sticking to them and sharing the summit with me. It was a pleasure, and I hope our paths will cross again soon.

My most satisfying accomplishment, however, was on the ski front. One day in February, I drove to Silverton, not sure what to expect, and had a blast. This may not seem like a big deal to a lot of folks around here, but it was a big internal goal of mine and showed the progress that I've made in the last 3 seasons. While there, I met a lot of amazing skiers and boarders and set new ski goals for myself.

I also was adventurous enough to give ice climbing another shot this winter. Big thanks to Will, my Rainier partner, Jeff and James for making the Ouray outing so much fun. Even the severely bruised shin (a result of trying to climb with just one ice tool) won't be a deterrent to give the sport another try in the future.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:30 pm

rijaca wrote:I've had fun!

+1, well said
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Next