Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Self arrest practice at glen cove

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Self arrest practice at glen cove

Postby Justin9 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:51 am

I have read in several posts that the glen cove area on pikes peak is a good area to practice self arrest. Has anyone been up there lately that can give some info on whether or not this is a good option right now? Where exactly in the glen cove area do you go? Also, if anyone would like to go this weekend (3/23) please let me know.

Re: Self arrest practice at glen cove

Postby powhound » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:03 am

I have been skiing the chutes up there every spring for the past 23 years. I am not avy trained... I just use common sense. I usually wait until early May or late April. I have seen many mountaineer classes going on through the years. Always on the "run"/couloir known as Little Italy. Once you get to Glen Cove it will be obvious as it is shaped like a boot.

Although it should also be obvious you'd want to practice self arrest on the lower section...with a safe runout, last year there was a big group from Colorado College (I think ?) doing self arrest about half way up Little Italy... above the dogleg, where if you got out of control, you'd smash into the rocks on the turn. The snow was soft, but...yikes! :shock: Anyone else see this?

Postby colorado yooper » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:28 am

Conditions change daily/weekly, but two weeks ago the report from the Alpine? School was that avy danger was extreme in Glen Cove. Coverage is also a bit thin in the 'safe' run out area so you might experience some rocks below the suface. Check CAIC and be extra cautious if you do go. Or just wait until late April or so. be safe.
To the High Crags!

Postby Justin9 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:56 am

Thanks colorado yooper - I was wondering about coverage near the runout areas. It is supposed to snow this weekend so any protruding rocks will probably be covered too...I think I'll wait a while or maybe joing the St Mary's Glacier practice group.

Postby a94buff » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:03 pm

FWIW I did some self-arrest practice on the East face of Bancroft a few years ago, a nice long run (800-1000' vert?) with very safe runout. Just be smarter than me and don't start your run above the one exposed rockpile in the middle of the face :shock: Luckily it turns out I'm good at self arresting.

Postby a94buff » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:10 pm

My TR from that day has pics of Bancroft East Face if that's helpful. Image with the skier/boarders provides perspective.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=10058

Postby EatinHardtack » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:16 pm

I've also gone up there for the past 5 years or so to ski those lines. I remember last years CC group in the middle of Little Italy, the dog and I skied right by them. From 24 it looks as though there is some decent coverage, looking forward to some skiing up there again this year.