Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Multiday backpack ideas

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Multiday backpack ideas

Postby nyker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:24 pm

Got a friend looking for a good loop backpack trip in the Durango area. Ideally would be fairly secluded, good fishing, camp sites and great hiking. Maybe 5 day trip. Any suggestions??

Re: Multiday backpack ideas

Postby geojed » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Plenty of options in the Weminuche starting from Vallecito Res. pick a drainage and go! Up Pine River and down Vallecito Creek or vice versa is a good one. Emerald Lake, Moon Lake, Flint Lakes, Rock Lake.
Last edited by geojed on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby schrund » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:55 pm

I wonder if they could do the approach hike into Chicago basin and then take the train back out?
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:43 pm

There's the Elk Creek-Needle Creek loop, using the train. It's about 5 days for most people, and you can't beat the scenery.

You could make a two-car shuttle hike out of it by going from Molas Pass to Purgatory or vice-versa. It would be about 15 miles longer but avoids the wasted time on the train. The two trailheads are about 15 miles apart on the same highway.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:00 pm

Ruby Lake in Ruby Basin fits their bill pretty well. Awesome lake, good fishing spots and a great place to pitch a tent. Only downside is there is really only room for 2 medium sized parties, so if they got there and they were taken, they would need to gain the bench above the lake to the East and find something up there, then go back and forth. The upper shelf provides better vantage point for hiking. They could either do Pigeon and Turret or something easier with Ruby Pass and Peak 12.

Postby nyker » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:00 pm

thanks guys, I'll pass these ideas along to him!