Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

TOPO! National Geographic software Utah

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

TOPO! National Geographic software Utah

Postby Kane » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Its been a few years since i invested in some topo software and now I'm interested in some Utah NG software. I use it to plot waypoints then transfer to my GPS. For the life of me, I cannot locate this stuff on the internet! Utah and Arizona is Out of Stock everywhere I go which leads me to think its not produced anymore.

Anyone out there know whats going on? Is there something new out there that everyones using and I'm basicaly under a rock? Sure, i know about using google earth but it seems like too much work.

Anyone out there want to sell me their Utah software?

Thanks,
Kane

Re: TOPO! National Geographic software Utah

Postby bergsteigen » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:27 pm

I noticed this today as well, as I was looking for the Wyoming Topo! I got the Utah one last year. I'll still be using it, but maybe we can come up with something.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm not suprised because they haven't come out with a new version of the base software in 5 years, I think. I believe the developer group for this software is out of Evergreen, CO and maybe you could find an email address or contact# on the web and drop them a line to see what's up.

While a lot of us use the TOPO! state series, the software is buggy and pretty crappy IMO. I switched to iGage a while back. iGage is a bit more technical but I find it much more useful than NatGeo. I even switched to the iGage weatherproof map paper as it's about 1/2 the cost of NatGeo and works the same.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby Alpine » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:32 am

I had been looking for a copy of the TOPO! Colorado version and unable to find it, too. All I have found is the online version where you have to pay a yearly fee to access, which I do not really want to do.

I will have to check out the iGage product.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:50 am

Alpine wrote:I had been looking for a copy of the TOPO! Colorado version and unable to find it, too. All I have found is the online version where you have to pay a yearly fee to access, which I do not really want to do.

I will have to check out the iGage product.

It's more expensive ($245, I think) but much more advanced. If you're just looking to do a few simple tasks with the GPS and zoom around on the map, it may not be worth the extra cost.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby geojed » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:07 am

There are so many free online mapping websites it seems like overkill and a waste of money to purchase a state topo map edition anymore. I primarily use http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

You can easily create a waypoint file save it as a GPX and download it to your GPS. The maps are at a fantastic resolution too.

Click on "Draw and Save" in the drop-down box. Then, after you click the first point on the map then right-click that point and select "Edit this point". Uncheck the "Routepoint" box. Save. Continue clicking the map and you will be making waypoints but they will not be connected with a line.

Another website is http://ridewithgps.com/ their mapping interface is pretty slick once you get the hang of it, but their USGS Topo map layer is crappy/unusable and I've been bugging them to get on the Caltopo.com server. Their elevation gain/loss calculator is the most accurate one I've found.

Cheers,

Jed
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Scott P » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:37 am

For the life of me, I cannot locate this stuff on the internet! Utah and Arizona is Out of Stock everywhere I go which leads me to think its not produced anymore.

Part of it might be (I'm not sure, just a guess) due to the fact that the USGS maps have been updated. The TOPO! software uses the old USGS maps (most of which were made in the 60's, 70's and if you are lucky 80's), rather than the brand-new ones. Assuming that they are coming out with new versions, I'm guessing it will take a while for them to convert everything to the new maps.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Lamb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:17 am

As a gift my sister got me a subscription to Alltrails pro which has access to the Nat'l Geo maps (this may be the subscription mentioned above.) While it was not something I would have purchased for myself, it has many neat features that I keep finding and using. I can create a GPX and I find most of the features are easier to use than MapSource. MapSource is still required to upload the GPX to my GPS, but it is nice to be able to create waypoints and routs right on a Nat'l Geo map which to me seems to have some great trail, trailhead, and map detail. When the time comes I will probably renew the subscription.

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:11 am

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby dsunwall » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:20 pm

It seemed to me the only advantage Topo! had over other software was the good "print" it made, the end product looked like a commercial map. USGS maps are owned by you and I so you don't pay for the actual maps just the interface. As GeoJed mentioned there are now many free products online like Caltopo. This may be another reason Topo! is not updating.

http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/about/ check out their map sources. I've been using Accuterra on my phone recently (backcountry Nav) because it has the latest trails similar to Trails Illustrated paper maps, not the old USGS trails which are often long ago outdated.

Map sources have gone wild lately since we are mostly online based now, new products appear on a regular basis, it's very difficult to narrow it down to one or two good sources without spending a lot of time looking and comparing.

Postby Kane » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:39 pm

So what's the most common way to download waypoints to a Garmin GPS these days?

Postby dsunwall » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:29 am

Kane wrote:So what's the most common way to download waypoints to a Garmin GPS these days?
In Caltopo, once you have created and saved a file an export function shows up, with that you have options, one is export to a Garmin GPS. It might have you install Garmin Communicator your first time.

Next