Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Neck and Back wizard needed - Metro Denver

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Neck and Back wizard needed - Metro Denver

Postby ColoradoEd » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:10 pm

My wife has been struggling with muscular neck and back pain for over a year now. X-rays show scoliosis and mis-aligned hips. No disc involvement whatsoever. The epicenter seems to be her right hip. She has seen a couple of chiropractors, a physiatrist, done physical therapy, taken muscle relaxers, gotten shoe inserts and has and is doing massage therapy. She is scheduled for some trigger point injections next week. She is considering Pilates. Nothing seems to provide and significant and/or lasting relief. Anyone have a good referral for someone who might be able to figure this out?

Re: Neck and Back wizard needed - Metro Denver

Postby Presto » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:28 pm

Sent you a pm.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Tim Jordan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:06 pm

I have had back problems for many years. Have had a lot of luck with a DO. Dr. Joel Cooperman (303) 991-4651. My back is a lot better than it used to be.

Postby tommelch » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:15 am

Have her try yoga. I have struggled with low back problems for years and tried about everything, including chiropratic, physical therapy, steroid injections and EMS.
Finally had to have a discectomy at L5-S1 3 years ago. My leg pain was gone, but still very tight and sore, with lots of back pain.
Started yoga 3 times per week 2 years ago and the improvement is remarkable.

Postby Bill Cummings » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:50 am

Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang

Postby barbiesue53 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:10 am

Low back problems can be so painful and interfere with so much of our good living. I also have scoliosis and my hotspot is my left hip. For me my last year has been staying with my mom to help her walk to her final goodbye. My symptoms exasperated tremondously...I'm sure due to endless incorrect positions and the emotional hours. Painful standing, painful sitting, legs falling asleep....ugly moments for sure. My physical therapist looked at my recent films and said "core exercise". For the last 3 months I religiously due my core program 6 days per week, along with monthly chiropractic care and my pain is almost gone. Each body of course is created differently but I sure do hope your wife can find a program that will bring her to a painfree state.

Postby USAKeller » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:36 pm

ColoradoEd - if you're open to exploring options in Boulder...

Allow me to highly recommend Dr. Betsy Yurth at Mapleton Hill Orthopedics. She's an orthopedic doc but specializes in neck and back injuries/issues and all of their latest medical treatments to boot. She's well-known for her spinal specialty and well-liked all over town. I see her for my jacked up back and spinal condition/injury.

She's awesome and really knows her stuff.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby ColoradoEd » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks folks. I know we have to keep looking for the right person with the right bag of tricks.

Postby MountainMedic » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:55 pm

It's vague, but you might want to check out Panorama Orthopedics and Spine Center in Golden. I've had two ankle surgeries through them, and they are a quick, efficient, and cutting edge firm. I'd imagine their spine docs are world class.

Postby schrund » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:57 pm

My friend Rick here in Denver is all over this type of challenge: http://www.rickolderman.com/ I recommend him highly.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief