Buckskin Gulch/Paria Canyon shuttle

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
new england kid
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (5)

Buckskin Gulch/Paria Canyon shuttle

Post by new england kid »

I have permits to hike Buckskin Gulch/Paria Canyon from the Wire Pass trailhead in late April. Does anyone have experience with the shuttle services recommended on the BLM website or had another experience with the logistics of this hike? We will only have one car so won't be able to run a shuttle ourselves. Any information you can share would be appreciated. Thanks!
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Buckskin Gulch/Paria Canyon shuttle

Post by painless4u2 »

Did this hike a few years back. We used Paria Outpost for the shuttle to Buckskin Gulch TH, then hiked to White House. They were fine, nothing fancy. As I remember, we were crammed in a small pickup for the shuttle, certainly no big, comfy van. It's a fitting start, I suppose, as you are about to get really dirty and mucky on this long, narrow hike.
It really is an amazing place, very worthwhile. But man, pool after pool of stinky, stagnant mud/water kinda gets old after a while. Also, be ready for the little downclimb at the "rock pile". A short rope would be helpful. There was an old one left in place there back then, but I wouldn't depend on it.
DSC_0307.jpg
DSC_0307.jpg (64.88 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

We used Betty Price out of Lee's Ferry for the shuttle 6 years ago. Maybe she's still there. Betty was very nice & it worked out just fine. She drove some kind of SUV.
weh
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by weh »

Curious, what days? My wife and I have permitted 4/15 and 4/16. Please let me know who you choose.
gzrrnnr
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gzrrnnr »

Not sure what route you are taking, but many years ago, I went from the White House TH west on the highway a couple of miles, then SW on a 4WD road to the House Rock Valley Road (maybe four miles), south on the HRVR to where upper Buckskin Gulch crosses the road (check a map for the location), then down Buckskin Gulch to the Paria, and up the Paria back to the White House TH. It was a long day and maybe 30ish miles, but no shuttle was needed. Incredible country and quite an adventure. Good luck and enjoy it all, from the mud hole called the Cesspool to the drop off, the rock art, and playing in the Paria.
new england kid
Trip Reports (5)

Thanks for the replies so far. Our dates are April 23-24 and our planned route is Wire Pass to White House.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

If so, it shouldn't be that hard to get a ride. There should be other people around then too.

Also consider bringing a bike for the shuttle, though it would take a few hours.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
new england kid
Trip Reports (5)

Thanks everyone! We ended up using Paria Outpost for a shuttle. They were very professional, prompt and full of good information about the surrounding area. Meanwhile, this hike is amazing! Definitely a highlight in our spring road trip (Fruita - Fisher Towers - Buckskin Gulch/Paria Canyon - Grand Staircase-Escalante - Casto Canyon - Bryce - Lower Calf Creek Falls - Capitol Reef - Goblin Valley - Ding & Dang Canyons - Crazy Mountain Brewery). Whew!
houserock
Trip Reports (0)

Post by houserock »

We used Tim Stephenson from Trails End Shuttle to do our shuttle last fall. Apparently Tim took over Betty's shuttle service last year because of Betty's failing health. He did a great job- knowledgeable of the area and very personable. Highly recommended.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Betty's shuttle was an experience in itself! Sad to hear she stopped doing it. The entire 15 passenger van was coating in a healthy layer of dust. She had some extra wag bags in the pack she would give you, which you had to shake a thick layer of dust off of first. We all started out the ride very cheerful and talking and joking, but after an hour of bumpy, very dusty driving to the Buckskin TH, everyone was silent and just wanted the ride to be over with.

I'd definitely do it again.