Best Guide books for Colorado

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Best Guide books for Colorado

Post by Dave B »

Matt Lemke wrote:Mountainproject actually does a poor job describing alpine routes...no matter how technical they may be.
Really? I don't think I could possibly disagree with this statement anymore than I already do.

Granted, sometimes the best beta is to be had in the comments, bu saying MP does NOT have good alpine beta is ridiculous.

As far as guide books go, Richard Rossiter is releasing a new RMNP alpine guide that will supposedly be a comprehensive guide to ice, mixed and alpine for the whole park (except Lumpy). This book will be released by Sharp End some time this late spring or early summer. The Levin guide to Eldo that Sharp End published is top notch, so I can only hope the new Rossiter guide will be as quality.
Last edited by Dave B on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make wilderness less accessible.
hotoven
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotoven »

Thanks for all the great information.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

hotoven wrote:...
Edit:

... I like to scramble up gully's, ....

You'll love Lindsey then!

For other guide books, stop in at te REI in Denver - there is a whole section on this.
ElFuegoDelaMuerte
14ers: 35  4  13 
13ers: 38 1 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ElFuegoDelaMuerte »

I can't believe more people don't suggest Dawson's Guide to the Colorado Fourteeners. I like Roach's books (I own pretty much all of them), but for scrambling/technical/snow climbing I use Dawson's. I love those guides.

I still like summitpost, especially for scrambling routes. MP doesn't have a lot of scramblers, but typically if I'm looking to rope up I'll go to MP.

If you're looking to climb mountains other than just the 14ers (which I would highly recommend - many many more and a lot of character), you're not really going to find a book that covers the entire state, more likely you'll have to buy a guide specific to a region/wilderness.

There are the Cooper guide books (Colorado Scrambles and Colorado Snow Climbs), which others have suggested, but you're gonna burn through the routes he covers in no time. Then what? Each time I pick up one of those books I keep hoping that I missed some sweet route every one of the three hundred or so times I've read through them... But alas, I didn't. Maybe next time though... Now I have to check.

Welcome to CO!
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

Dave B wrote:saying MP does have good alpine beta is ridiculous.
I know right??? Makes perfect sense! Glad to hear you agree
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
climbinfool
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 49 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbinfool »

Re: your edit, these mtns continue to get heavier and heavier use. There are always plenty of high places for scrambling - but any efforts to avoid increased 'braiding' are definitely appreciated. Use of trails when possible helps to keep from damaging these areas that we all enjoy.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

Matt Lemke wrote:Mountainproject actually does a poor job describing alpine routes...no matter how technical they may be. It is mainly a cragging site at which it is a fantastic resource. Summitpost isn't that great for alpine technical climbing either but it is slightly better in the sense that it has WAY more photos to look at for beta.
:wft:

MP is a GREAT resource for all types of technical climbing. I spend so much time researching things there I'm surprised my company hasn't blocked the website yet. And if you can't find the info you need in the route description or the comments, the forums on MP are very helpful as well.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
hotoven
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotoven »

Thanks again for all your help. I just received the 14ers book by Roach. Its really informative. I will be using a multitude of the resources that have been suggested along with many online pages with photos, trip reports, and other material. I already have a small check list of climbs I would like to do. Climbs like Wham Ridge, South Face on Petit Grepon, and the Sharkstooth.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction and I hope to see some of you in the hills!