Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Favorite Recipes Hiking & Camping Food

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Favorite Recipes Hiking & Camping Food

Postby Jump Roper » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:47 pm

I have two recipes that I love when I'm backpacking.

The First is Noodle Pizza Soup, the second Nalgene Breakfast Casserole. Both may sound a bit odd at first but both are tasty and filling.

Noodle Pizza Soup
1 package ramen noodles (toss the seasoning)
2 string cheese (cut into bite size pieces)
1 can of tomatos (not paste)
Italian seasoning
Peperoni
Cook noodles in a pot, drain, and add the rest. I split the noodles into two ziplock bags after they were cooked, added a little of everything else to each and then zipped it up and let it sit for a few. Then the clean up is easy.

Nalgene Breakfast Casserole
It is way heavy so we always eat it on morning one.

The night before we leave I put some hash-bowns, raw eggs, onions, taco seasoning, and cooked bacon pieces into a Nalgene. I throw the whole thing in the freezer and let it freeze over night. This way the next day when we leave for our trip the ingredients keep everything cold (in the warm car and at the lower elevations). Then on morning 1 we simply pour it out and cook, yum. The added bonus is now we have an extra Nalgene at camp.
"Hold on Chuck, we're almost there."

Postby mtree » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Hot dogs, man. Hot dogs rule. Freeze them first (adds at least a day to their shelf life) and keep them well insulated.

Wrap 'em in a tortilla. Tortillas are lightweight and compact. Add some cheese, fresh onion, and mustard and you're eating like a king! Provided you're not hiking in alot of heat, you can tote those bad boys around for a few days. Your friends will be salivating while you 'grill' them up. And if you can't grill, they're precooked! Eat 'em anyway! They're baloney tubes.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby crestone14ers » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Cold veggie pizza, wrapped green chile burritos, mac and cheese with roasted green chiles and linguine with white clam sauce in sealed containers.

Life is way too short to eat PB&J sandwiches!

Postby bonehead » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:47 pm

Jump Roper wrote:Nalgene Breakfast Casserole

I had a hiking "buddy" who did this, and much worse.
A snow climb and summit overnight on San Jacinto
found him pulling out his omelet, it was leaking
and in an emotional fit, he spewed it all over
our pristine summit snow camp.
Looked like 5 drunks had a bad night..
Him and his buddy also did horrible things
trying to BBQ steaks up there.

Postby Mindy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:59 am

wooderson wrote:
Mindy wrote:Thank you Presto. Appreciated!

Presto knows whereof she speaks when it comes to backcountry cuisine. Her tips and advice are what got me and Papi through an 8-night Weminuche trip last summer.

Couple of things that worked really well on that trip:

-Angel hair pasta with a packet of dried pesto sauce (which you can find it most any grocery store), dehydrated tomatoes (not sundried, though those would also work I suppose... you can get the dehydrated from Packit Gourmet), olive oil, Parmesan. Soak the tomatoes in a little water while the pasta cooks (it's quick). Leave a little water when you drain the pasta and then toss everything in.

-The Fantastic Foods vegan taco filling with couscous. This stuff is another Presto recommendation and it tastes remarkably like actual ground taco meat.

-Instant pudding... put it in a ziplock with some powdered milk, pour in cold water at camp. We found that if you add maybe a half cup less water than what the recipe calls for, it has the consistency of brownie batter (in a good way, obviously).

Yum! Intrigued by all. Thank you - Wooderson. :)

Nalgene mix could be interesting. I didn't know you could freeze eggs.

Dehydrators.... recommendations anyone?

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:40 am

Mindy wrote:Dehydrators.... recommendations anyone?

I have this one, and rather like it: Nesco American Harvest FD-61WHC Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator All-In-One Kit

Still working on making my own paleo dehydrated meals for backpacking.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby bonehead » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:10 am

The Jerky gun is really stupid.
Probably adds $20+
Look for a bare bones kit.
Maybe some extra shelves.

Postby Presto » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:27 am

As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Previous