Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Converters - a 14er bikey thing

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Converters - a 14er bikey thing

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:15 pm

Here's a solution to a problem most working folks with a life didn't know existed.

Converters.

This is the historical first-known-ever prototype! =D> :roll:

So here's how it got started....

One small inefficiency in biking winter 14ers is the time it takes to change out from cycling shoes to mountaineering boots, as well as the extra pack weight to carry the boots.

The solution: Converters.

OK, don't laugh.

Allright, go ahead, laugh. They are pretty comical.

But the test run in the driveway tonight seemed to suggest they will work.

This particular first-ever prototype pair was made from an equally historic pair of Shimano SPD cycling shoes. I almost hated to rip into them. Such is the price of progress.

The idea is, you strap these bad boys to the bottoms of your mountaineering boots, then get on the bike, and ride the winter 14er approach. The converters have cleats on the bottom, so you don't have to change out to flat pedals before the 14er trip, and you get the advantage of full pedaling efficiency. Well, almost - I presume there will be a little more slop than with straight-up cycling shoes. But you get to use your clipless pedals.

Then, when it's time to change out to snowshoes or crampons, you simply pull off the converters and you're ready to go. No carrying mountaineering boots, no taking off gaiters and changing out shoes. And when you get back to the bike that night, you strap the converters back on and ride to the car.

Phase 1 testing will begin tomorrow during daylight hours.

If anyone wants to witness this historic event, it will take place (in the wet sloppy muck) on the dirt section of Gold Camp Road, in the Pikes Peak foothills, at a reasonably civilized mid-morning hour.

Should the new device be a resounding success, full details will be available exclusively on this website (and maybe a few choice mtb websites) for your viewing pleasure. If not, I'm sure this post will fall to the bottom of the pile - though perhaps not quite as quickly as the OP would have liked.

Re: Converters - a 14er bikey thing

Postby justiner » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:31 am

I think we should be friends ;)
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby Bean » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:06 am

Brilliant. A heel strap could be useful but maybe it isn't necessary.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby pvnisher » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:18 am

What about using some old crampons instead? Grind off the points, then spot weld the spd cleat where the antibot plate goes?
You could then use the toe and heel welts of your boots and have a solid connection. With a fully rigid boot and step-in crampons I think you'd be as efficient as a traditional cycling shoe.
I get 10% of the proceeds if you make/sell such a device. \:D/

Postby pvnisher » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:22 am

You might not even need to grind the points. Or just make an adapter so you can bolt the cleat into the crampon. Then get to trailhead, remove cleat and replace with bott, and you're set.
The only things extra you'd carry would be a hex wrench.

Postby cftbq » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:02 am

Simply brilliant. (Any ideas for those of us who are behind the times and still using toe strap pedals?) Wish I could be there for the test!
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.

Postby Oman » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:09 am

Postby jameseroni » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Pretty much looks like it would serve the same purpose as a toe basket... Cannot a mountaineering boot fit into a toe basket that's opened wide enough?

Granted, toe baskets don't rank in efficiency with clipless - but is the synched down Velcro much different than a synched down toe basket pedal?

Postby globreal » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:26 pm

What time tomorrow and where exactly. Maybe I could take pictures for your research.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:25 pm

cftbq wrote:Any ideas for those of us who are behind the times and still using toe strap pedals?

Yes. I was actually quite frustrated that I couldn't find my really good pedals and straps that I used to use in the days before clipless. Gave 'em away. Oh well. : /

But, yes. There was something called "toe flips" that is a plate of light spring steel that goes on the front and easily catches the toe to flip the pedals up to get in more quickly. Those used to kick ass in Cross races, b/c they're so fast getting in and out. Leave your straps set to where you can get in and out of them in a hurry, but to where they still work reasonably well.

The first idea for this was actually to use the cage of a pedal to put a plate across with a cleat.

Yes, a lot of guys run flat pedals in the snow. It's a tradeoff. The flat pedals are simple and quick to get on and off. Clipless are pretty quick if you are used to them, and they are much more efficient. You get the upstroke as well as the downstroke. Good technique means power through the entire circle.

I'd think it would also be a little easier to stay on the bike in \downhill or rough snow conditions with clipless, and you can apply more "english" for rough handling. And if you start to go down, you're still out of the pedal pretty quick.

So, personal preference, I'd like to be locked into the pedal.

jameseroni wrote:Cannot a mountaineering boot fit into a toe basket that's opened wide enough?

Sure. Only, trust me, you don't want to be tied with a toe strap on snow, especially downhilling. Flat pedals, while less efficient, would be the safer option if you didn't go clipless.

globreal wrote:What time tomorrow and where exactly. Maybe I could take pictures for your research.

:-D Heh. Well I was going to check it out today, but just decided to ride instead. Too nice out. Well, I mean, it is a mudbath up there right now, but if we didn't have a sense of humor, we wouldn't be riding snow, right? :-k #-o

Along the same lines, I contacted the Revenue Mine folks yesterday, b/c of course you know what I'm thinking as I look for which winter 14ers are amenable to biking. They really don't want anyone driving up even if we happen to find the gate open. But the guy thought a bike would work perfect for the closed section. Hope to get to it before March 20; we'll see. If so, will try the converters for clipless, but will likely have something for b/u.