Fourteeners in April

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
saintelias
Trip Reports (0)

Fourteeners in April

Post by saintelias »

Can anybody anwer this question ( I realize it all depends on how much more snow we get): As a general rule are there any 14ers in the San Juans, Sawatch or Cretones that you can get to the standard trailhead by vehicle and climb without the use of skis, snowshoes or major postholing in the month of April?

Thanks
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Fourteeners in April

Post by metalmountain »

I am going with...most likely not.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

saintelias wrote:I realize it all depends on how much more snow we get
Excatly - Go buy some snowshoes.

Concerning trailheads, La Plata and Mt Yale are two trailheads that come to mind which you can drive in the winter. But for the most part, you can expect to tack on a few extra miles for any given peak in winter / spring.
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

You will be able to access some trailheads, but being out in April with no floatation is a good way to be balls deep in snow all day.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say none.

Quandary in April pictured below.
Attachments
April.jpg
April.jpg (25.78 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
IkeB
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 50 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by IkeB »

As stated you will want floatation. If you don't want to buy snowshoes, rei rents them I believe.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Try Bison Peak from Ute Creek TH. It will probably be melted up to timberline or so.

What, it's not a 14er? It should be.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Reply hazy, try again
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

every once in a while i get in some weird mood where i scour craigslist for gear, and let me tell ya: there are a ton of snowshoes on there right now.