Recent Guanella Pass Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Recent Guanella Pass Conditions

Post by Yikes »

Anyone been up the road from Georgetown in the past few days? Thinking about stomping around towards Evans on Saturday and checking out snow conditions.
Water_Boy
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Recent Guanella Pass Conditions

Post by Water_Boy »

Did you ever make it up there?? We were thinking about trying Evans through this side via spaulding on Friday 3-8-13
We are stardust
leggaj5
14ers: 45  5 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by leggaj5 »

I was up there today. The sign at the bottom says the winter closure is 8.2 miles from the bottom, but that seems a bit off. Anecdotally speaking, I skinned up from the closure to the pass in probably an hour and a half, and I'm not fast. I'm not really familiar with the route up Evans, but the west side of Bierstadt was really bare; there were definitely no ski lines, so I doubt you would need an axe/crampons. The wind was brutal today, and it has just been ripping away any snow in that area (the road was totally bare at the top, but that may be normal). Things could change if there is a lot of new snow this week.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Anyone been up the road recently? Curious if the road has melted out yet.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

kushrocks wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:13 pm Anyone been up the road recently? Curious if the road has melted out yet.
More so than the trail to Whale Peak, less so than the road to the Gibson Lake TH. :p

Which side would you be coming from?
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

This could be one of those roads Clear Creek County is going to kick you off of. Probably check before you go up there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Ptglhs wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:20 pm
kushrocks wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:13 pm Anyone been up the road recently? Curious if the road has melted out yet.
More so than the trail to Whale Peak, less so than the road to the Gibson Lake TH. :p

Which side would you be coming from?
Georgetown side. I don't care about driving up was just trying to take my bike up and over the pass if its snow free.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

pw wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:32 pm This could be one of those roads Clear Creek County is going to kick you off of. Probably check before you go up there.
Clear Creek County has been leaving nastygrams on car windshields at popular trailheads like Guanella Pass and Herman Gulch. Haven't heard of any tickets or fines, but yes, they're actively patrolling moreso than neighboring counties.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

SurfNTurf wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:26 pm
Clear Creek County has been leaving nastygrams on car windshields at popular trailheads like Guanella Pass and Herman Gulch. Haven't heard of any tickets or fines, but yes, they're actively patrolling moreso than neighboring counties.
Herman Gulch is surprising. The actual Clear Creek order says they don't want people from outside the county on local, that is county, roads, but ok to be on state and federal highways. Herman Gulch is on I-70 so that should be alright. I checked with the sheriff's office last week about going to the picnic area on W. Clear Creek a few miles above Empire (a state highway that is) and got the OK. Places like St. Mary's are what they are watching, or so I thought.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

My only guess is Herman Gulch was due to overcrowding, but who knows. That one was anecdotal (but from two sources). Similar timeframe to when they plowed in the Loveland Pass parking areas; might not be as much of a thing these days.

I know firsthand about the warnings issued at the Guanella Pass parking area, though. :-"
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Tue May 12, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

What if you stop driving at the county border and hike/ski into the county? Will they ticket you then?
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

In Gilpin county they still had a roadblock at the start of the road to east portal/moffat tunnel this weekend. I met a couple unmasked officers at a trailhead on 119 and they said I was fine there, although they asked which was my car (they were responding to an illegal campfire). Quite a few people parked in different spots along the state highway, and lots of road construction. Not sure if they're just wanting to keep people out of riskier areas that have a higher chance of SAR calls, popular areas, or they can only close county roads.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"