Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Telluride in May

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Telluride in May

Postby apasquel » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Ok guys...I will be in Telluride from May 3-5th...I was hoping to take my brother in law on the via ferrata and also do a snow climb of Sneffels. If anyone is interested in joining us, just pm me. Also...for those that are San Juanites...In early May, is there a lot of snow left at 10,000'....I know there is in higher elevation, but if there is a lot of snow, im thinking via ferrata is a bad idea...since there are several sections that are not protected by cable, and all you have is a three foot shelf of trail...I'm not bold enough to do this in snow or icy conditions.

Re: Telluride in May

Postby osprey » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:20 pm

The via feratta is on a south facing wall. It is usually free of snow by early May - with the caveat that storms could come at any time.

Postby apasquel » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:59 pm

that's good news...thanks for that info..

Postby apasquel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:22 am

Is Hwy 145 via Ophir Pass to Telluride passable by early May? Or is the only way into Telluride in early May from the West? This could change my plans...

Postby Scott P » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 am

Is Hwy 145 via Ophir Pass to Telluride passable by early May?

No (unless you are on foot, snowmobile, etc.).
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby apasquel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:53 pm

So at what elevation are roads passable in May? Or is it specific passes that are not passable? For instance, can I go to Ouray through Silverton on 550 or is that pass on Ouray also impassable?

Also...for all you Coloradoans (Is that right?) What is the best way (fastest, yet safest...I know almost an oxymoron) to get to Telluride from let's say, Amarillo, TX in early May. To go all the way past AlbQ, NM, through Utah or cut across the San Juan Valley? Or is there another route? This stuff is a headache...

Postby Scott P » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:02 pm

For instance, can I go to Ouray through Silverton on 550 or is that pass on Ouray also impassable?

That highway is plowed year round, but occasionally closes during bad weather.

Most State Highways are plowed in winter and spring. Exceptions for seasonal closures are Independence Pass, Trail Ridge and Mount Evans.

Telluride to Sneffels is pretty easy. Take State Highway 145 to State Highway 62 to Ridgeway and then south on US 550. Telluride to Ouray is 66 miles according to the state road map.

Ophir Pass is a dirt road. Most dirt road passes in the San Juans don't open nearly that early.

Postby apasquel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:12 pm

Scott P wrote:
For instance, can I go to Ouray through Silverton on 550 or is that pass on Ouray also impassable?

That highway is plowed year round, but occasionally closes during bad weather.

Most State Highways are plowed in winter and spring. Exceptions for seasonal closures are Independence Pass, Trail Ridge and Mount Evans.

Telluride to Sneffels is pretty easy. Take State Highway 145 to State Highway 62 to Ridgeway and then south on US 550. Telluride to Ouray is 66 miles according to the state road map.

Ophir Pass is a dirt road. Most dirt road passes in the San Juans don't open nearly that early.

Is State Hwy 145 from Dolores to Telluride typically plowed? If so...game on.

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:17 pm

apasquel wrote:Also...for all you Coloradoans (Is that right?) What is the best way (fastest, yet safest...I know almost an oxymoron) to get to Telluride from let's say, Amarillo, TX in early May. To go all the way past AlbQ, NM, through Utah or cut across the San Juan Valley? Or is there another route? This stuff is a headache...

I'd take 40 west to 285, then that through Santa Fe all the way up through Alamosa. From there your options basically boil down to Wolf Creek Pass (US 160) vs. Monarch Pass (US 50). Wolf Creek gets more snow but is more direct. Unless a freak snowstorm is moving through I'd go Wolf Creek.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Scott P » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Is State Hwy 145 from Dolores to Telluride typically plowed? If so...game on.

Yes.

Also...for all you Coloradoans (Is that right?) What is the best way (fastest, yet safest...I know almost an oxymoron) to get to Telluride from let's say, Amarillo, TX in early May.

I would think I-40 to Albuquerque and then north would be fastest. Definitely faster than going through the San Luis Valley and Wolf Creek.

Postby TravelingMatt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Yeah, 40-25-550 is probably faster, although I find Wolf Creek more interesting.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby rijaca » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:59 pm

Fastest way:

I40 west to ABQ, I25 north to Bernalillo, 550N to Durango. This is all 4 lane highways with 70-75 mph speed limits (at least to Bloomfield).

From Durango, 160 west to C184 to Dolores, then C145 north to Telluride. The only pass to cross is Lizard Head. Enjoy!
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Next