Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

In the Spirit of the Oscars

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: In the Spirit of the Oscars

Postby MUni Rider » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:44 pm

I want my two dollars.

edit: fixed the link to open in the post. (thanks for the tip tallgrass)
Last edited by MUni Rider on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)

Postby speth » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:02 pm

I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.

Postby Kent McLemore » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:09 pm

In the animation category, I nominate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psfboAl5kLg
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir

Postby Alpine » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:08 pm

Okay - not a film but how about a TV series? This thread sparked a memory of one or two MacGyver episodes, but what I wanted to mention was this:

Maybe 15 years ago there was a short-lived series about a guide/rescue/climbing type family. The Dad of course was very much a mountain bada$$ type, the two late teens/early twenties sons were following in his footsteps and Mom stayed home to worry about them. And i think there was a sister who of course could do anything the brothers could do and maybe better.

Anyone remember that one? A little fuzzy now on the details but at the time I thought it was a pretty cool show.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day

Postby TallGrass » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:10 pm

I saw someone mention Roger Moore which reminded me of Escape to Athena (1979, Roger Moore, Telly Savalas, David Niven). Though plot involves robbing a monastery on fictive Mount Athena, it was actually filmed in sea-level Rhodes, Greece (same city used for Guns of Navarone). Has my favorite motorcycle chase scene due to pulling top notch stunts without CGI in claustrophobic no-room-for-error alleys using a sidecar -- an asymmetrical vehicle which can be diabolical to pilot in its own right (read: very easy to bite it).

TIP: for any who haven't figured out the YouTube trick, click on "YouTubeVideo" (not "URL") when composing then paste the string of characters after the = from the URL to get the viewer to appear in your post. Maybe Bill mentioned it somewhere, but I had to deduce it myself.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby PaliKona » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Cliffhanger and Vertical Limit...soooo bad they're sooooo good :)

Postby peter303 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:53 am

I saw 'The Summit", a docudrama about the 2008 K2 disaster at the Boulder film festival last week. It was interviews with some of the survivors, intermixed with trip footage and simulations of what [img]might[/img] have happened on that fateful trip. It gave me some visual insights into the dificulties with K2.

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:12 pm

The Looney Tunes video reminded me of this animated short:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZilcnadvU88

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:47 pm

I know that when there's rockfall, it's because Saruman is chanting somewhere...

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby fleetmack » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:10 pm

Duh .... this is the best scene of all time from any movie:
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby Exiled Michigander » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 pm

No 14ers.com honorable mention for the final scene of Shane, where he rides off toward the Tetons?:

Does Shane live or die? Nobody knows.

PreviousNext