Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New from Surly

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

New from Surly

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:15 am

Surly just came out with a new fat tire for 29ers. It's called the Knard, and it's 29x3.0. I saw a pair yesterday on their new 29er snow bike, the Krampus.

http://surlybikes.com/parts/knard_29

Don't get your hopes up too quickly, though, thinking you'll turn your 29er into a Pugsley just by buying these tires, like I'd hoped. Mounted on wide rims spec'd for the Krampus, they measured right at 30" overall, so the tire is not only wide, but tall. I plan to go back to the bike shop and they're going to see if one of the Krampus wheels will fit into my full-sus frame. Based on measurements I took yesterday, it will be close, and it's difficult to tell how sizing will change on standard-width rims.

Add to this the fact that the tires are in short supply and are only being delivered for building up the Krampus; however it may be possible to get an extra pair, depending on the shop. They have 27tpi tires and 120tpi tires. The 27tpi tires are about $90 and the 120tpi tires (the ones to have) are $120 each. The latter weigh 3.3 pounds each. The cheaper ones are about a pound heavier for the pair.

Here's the tires on a new Surley Krampus:

Edit: Thanks, Bean, for the correct spelling.
Last edited by Dancesatmoonrise on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: New from Surley

Postby Bean » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:36 am

My LBS built up a Krampus with a Fox fork. It reportedly worked fairly well. Rear clearance is probably going to be the bigger issue (especially re: chainline). A Knard-equipped bike (Krampus or otherwise) would be a pretty good TH-approach vehicle, but don't expect to power over/through deep, unconsolidated snow with it. That's hard enough even with a Moonlander.

(and Surly, not Surley)
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Re: New from Surley

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:51 am

Bean wrote:My LBS built up a Krampus with a Fox fork. It reportedly worked fairly well. Rear clearance is probably going to be the bigger issue (especially re: chainline). A Knard-equipped bike (Krampus or otherwise) would be a pretty good TH-approach vehicle, but don't expect to power over/through deep, unconsolidated snow with it. That's hard enough even with a Moonlander.

Good news on this front. My front is a Fox CTD. Rear clearance is about 3/8 to 1/2 at stays. We'll see if it works.

Question: how much snow do you think the Knards will get through? A standard Pugsley? A Moonlander?

Some of the guys down here think you could push through 12-16" of powder on a Pugsley, but I'm thinking that's unrealistic.

Re: New from Surly

Postby Bean » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:05 pm

I had trouble getting through ~8" of moderate-density snow on flat when I test rode a Moonlander and was entirely unsuccessful on a Pugs in the same conditions. Mountain biking with a Pugsley in 4-6" of chunky snow was very difficult on the uphill (lots of putting a foot down) but the downhill was a blast. You can do a lot with fat tires, but it's still just a bicycle. Blower over a packed base and you can get through a lot.

Postby Oman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:06 pm

Hey Bean: Time for a field test. Mukluk is saddled up and I'm headed to City Park golf course. Want to ride?

Postby Bean » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Oman wrote:Hey Bean: Time for a field test. Mukluk is saddled up and I'm headed to City Park golf course. Want to ride?

Wish I could but today's a no-go. Enjoy.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:36 pm

Oman wrote:Hey Bean: Time for a field test. Mukluk is saddled up and I'm headed to City Park golf course. Want to ride?

Oman, how'd the Mukluk do? :-D

Report from the Springs:
Snow: 5-7" new on High Drive (just below Mays Peak) - a little on the heavy side. Untracked this am except for a fellow who skied down from the saddle.
Bike: Scott FS 29er
Tires: Michelin 2.25s

How the Michelin's did in the snow:
The good news: Hillclimbing in about 5-6" of new, the bike was more efficient than the skis: wide tele's with fishscales. The bike caught and passed the skier early on.
The bad news: Higher up, where it got up to about 7", or the snow got heavier, it was too easy to come off the bike and too hard to get it started again. Skis ended up taking honors on this one, not too surprisingly.
Tweeks: Running 23/27 pounds ft/rear. Near the top of the climb, dropped pressures to 17/20, which helped.
Downhill: A blast. The 29er wheels get moving and don't stop. The 15mm thru-axle on the CTD fork helps a lot.

Conclusions: Not sure it's going to be worth $250, assuming the 3.0's will even fit a standard frame. It would be sure nice to run them side by side in the same conditions. If we get another decent storm in town, may borrow a Pugs and try both. Another conclusion is that these Michelin's do surprisingly well. They look easily like 2.4's when mounted, ride the snow well, and are smooth as sew-ups on the hardpack. Picked them up from REI. A pleasant surprise. Keepers for sure.

Postby Oman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:28 pm

Well, because you asked...

Poaching golf courses in the snow is one of my favorite little vices. Pretty fun to have a square mile of mostly untracked snow to yourself in the middle of Denver.

At some point while riding two inches of snow atop grass behind the Natural History Museum, I must have paralleled a King of the Mountain segment. Strava tells me I finished 56th of 56, but I can squish those roadies like a bug. Once you go fat, you don't go back.

Today's tee shot:

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:11 am

Oman wrote:Poaching golf courses in the snow is one of my favorite little vices.

:lol: That's hilarious!

Oman wrote: Once you go fat, you don't go back.
Today's tee shot:

Beautiful.

I need one. [-o<

Postby fleetmack » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:44 am

off topic, but i wanted to show off my surly long haul trucker i bought about a year ago ... here she be locked & loaded for touring last summer:
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:51 pm

Izzat a turbo cooler on the back above the plates?

Postby fleetmack » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:20 pm

nah - that'd be a bike stereo i built... has a 12v charger and tail lights on it too
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Next