Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What's hikable by May 1?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

What's hikable by May 1?

Postby BostonBull » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Which 14k peaks that are not too far a drive from Denver will be hikable without crampons/snowshoes by around May 1? I 've only done Long's Peak and I want to get a few more under my belt. Thanks folks. Live long and prosper. -Rick

Re: What's hikable by May 1?

Postby Jesse M » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Mess around in the Trip Report section of this site. You can change settings to see climbs only for the months you want to see. It is hard to say what the 14ers will look like until we see the snow for the season. Check the Trip Report and Peak Condition tabs often two or three weeks before you intend to climb. Good luck, I hope this was helpful.

Postby Monte Meals » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:51 pm

Cough up the $60 for a pair of microspikes and you *should* be able climb all of the 14ers near Denver by May

Postby John Landers » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Without snowshoes?

Depending upon the snowpack early May presents problems in that the nights can be cold enough to freeze snow in valleys providing easy access in morning. Later in day after a summit can be a wallowfest. Builds character though. Choose your route and peak carefully.

Postby BostonBull » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Thanks you guys. Appreciate it. I was lookin at Mt. Massive. I should just move to Colorado. Any cute cougars need a roommate? lol

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Monte Meals wrote:Cough up the $60 for a pair of microspikes and you *should* be able climb all of the 14ers near Denver by May

Except Bierstadt. Willows + snow + sun = misery.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Tory Wells » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:59 am

Jim Davies wrote:
Monte Meals wrote:Cough up the $60 for a pair of microspikes and you *should* be able climb all of the 14ers near Denver by May

Except Bierstadt. Willows + snow + sun = misery.

Willows + snow + sun + BOARDWALK = not that bad.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby ajkagy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:13 am

BostonBull wrote:Which 14k peaks that are not too far a drive from Denver will be hikable without crampons/snowshoes by around May 1? I 've only done Long's Peak and I want to get a few more under my belt. Thanks folks. Live long and prosper. -Rick

Nothing, since we'll have a HUGE storm that will dump 4 feet of snow in late april :twisted:
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby peter303 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:15 am

In May 2012 it was a third of the peaks due to a severe drought. In May 2011 there was double average snow and some places still had snow well into July.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:40 am

Tory Wells wrote:Willows + snow + sun + BOARDWALK = not that bad.

I snowshoed it on a sunny day in April once, and never saw a boardwalk under all the snow. Maybe this year they'd be visible, except for that 4-foot storm, of course. :) It took 2.5 hours to recross the willows on the way out: step, step, fall in chest-deep, untangle from hidden willows, crawl out of hole, repeat.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Tory Wells » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:57 am

Jim Davies wrote:

I snowshoed it on a sunny day in April once, and never saw a boardwalk under all the snow. Maybe this year they'd be visible, except for that 4-foot storm, of course. :) It took 2.5 hours to recross the willows on the way out: step, step, fall in chest-deep, untangle from hidden willows, crawl out of hole, repeat.

Yikes. That doesn't sound fun.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby randalmartin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:31 am

Jim Davies wrote:

My exact experience in May 2008 http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=4255&parmuser=randalmartin&cpgm=tripuser.

Not to mention there was water running at the bottom of the posthole. Water over the top of boots (no gaiters). Ridiculously miserable. My advice for doing a 14er in May is to look at the weather reports and go when the overnight lows are extra cold to ensure Snow is frozen in place, get an early start so you can be out by early afternoon and avoid the worst of the posthole nightmare.

Next