Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is the SNOW!!!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Where is the SNOW!!!

Postby ajkagy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:37 am

17.5 in. reported at Monarch this morning...love it

http://store.skimonarch.com/snow_report/
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 am

JTOlson26 wrote:What kind of snowfall totals has everyone received so far? A friend who teaches at Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado Springs said they had school called off last night and I saw where Widefield had a good 6-8 inches.

Just over the tops of my down booties on the west side of Colorado Springs, so I guess that's about 8". Brrr... cold ankles!

Postby ameristrat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:52 am

4-5" in DTC
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby TallGrass » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:02 am

We got a foot of it here with 2' drifts common including some thundersnow throughout the morning. Bottom layer was powder with the top firmer letting one sweep out the bottom on your car and leave the top suspended. Planning on snayaking today or tomorrow.
Image KC, MO
Image Image Prairie Village, KS (KC)
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby kushrocks » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:30 am

Tallgrass where were those photos taken?
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby PaliKona » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:04 am

Almost 3 feet at Monarch in the past 2 days

Postby TallGrass » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:06 am

kushrocks wrote:Tallgrass where were those photos taken?
Locations to side of photos (news source). All from Kansas City area. Just got in from doing the second half of the drive way... TIRED Image Sidestreets are a rutted mess. One guy here was able to get out in his 4x4 with some spinning and a couple others got stuck in the street trying to get out. Taking the scooter out later for coffee -- I can drag it through/over any place I get stuck until I get to the main street which will be good enough. Snow Day! :mrgreen: All the sledding kids (big ones too) and Xcountry skiers are eating it up!

Wichita got 14.2"[/b], second only to the 1962 storm. Link has other storm impact data. It's not that we're not snow-prepared, it's that it came down so quick like 2" per hour at one point. Bulk came down 7am-12n so LOTS of cars got stuck or spun off trying to get home.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Presto » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:18 am

by PaliKona » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:04 am
Almost 3 feet at Monarch in the past 2 days

Current webcam ... just beautiful.
Attachments
monarch_pass.jpg
monarch_pass.jpg (36 KiB) Viewed 368 times
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Scott P » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:22 pm

We got an inch. I don't think the mountains around here got that much either. According to the ski report, Steamboat got 6" at mid mountain from this storm, but I guess every little bit helps.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby rijaca » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Monarch is reporting 12" in the past 24 hours, and 30" in the past 48 hours.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby KyleS » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:40 pm

Wolf Creek just broke 30" for the storm and it's still PUKING snow up here.

PreviousNext