Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New to the forum and 14ers!

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: New to the forum and 14ers!

Postby JTOlson26 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Yes, that is the TH! It's actually a nice little interesting drive to wherever you decide to park.

Postby ameristrat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Welcome!

La Plata doesn't seem to be talked about very often, but it's a gem. Standard length and gain as far as Sawatch 14ers go via the standard route, but it is a gorgeous hike - IMO one of the most underrated 14ers in the state.

Let us know how we can help!
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Tornadoman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:46 pm

ameristrat wrote:Welcome!

La Plata doesn't seem to be talked about very often, but it's a gem. Standard length and gain as far as Sawatch 14ers go via the standard route, but it is a gorgeous hike - IMO one of the most underrated 14ers in the state.

Let us know how we can help!

The above is true... La Plata's standard route is a really nice hike. I had a massive blister on my heel when I hiked it, otherwise, I would rank it as one of my favorites. :lol: Regarding Blanca and Ellingwood, you may as well go for both if you are going to be at Lake Como. Blanca seemed pretty easy and straightforward to me and was reasonably solid, while Ellingwood via the Class 2+ route wasn't cairned as well and seemed to have a lot more loose rock. I was not wearing a helmet, but personally I would bring a helmet if climbing Ellingwood again.

Welcome aboard and good luck!

Postby bonehead » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:50 pm

Tell us about the cupcakes.

Postby Stephen Butler » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:30 pm

Welcome!

Those sound like great plans for the year! Be sure you check avalanche conditions for your spring climb. I'm not familiar with the snowpack on Sherman but it is certainly worth checking before you go.

Postby mtree » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 am

Welcome!

Mt. Sherman in the spring is a fine hike. You can climb the snow route to avoid any avalanche danger at the ridge wall (cornice). It is due north from the main road before it turns left towards the summer gate access. You'll need snowshoes and possibly microspikes. Trekking poles or an ice axe are very helpful. Plan your route carefully to avoid any trouble. The easiest access to the summit is to circle the west ridge saddle - between Sherman and White Ridge - but you can save a little time by skipping it and taking the steeper NW ascent directly to Sherman's summit.

Otherwise, if you take the standard route, assess the conditions at the ridge very carefully. The cornice tends to slough off in the spring. Although I doubt it would kill you, it could make things very ugly.

Blanca is a tremendous hike! The final summit pitch involves some sketchy route finding, but you can keep the difficulty to class 2+ on fairly steep terrain. Camping near Lake Como is probably the best idea. It can be climbed from the base, but it's a long, grueling day. And, I agree with others, La Plata is one of my favorite hikes! From the stream crossing to the view once you crest the ridge, a snow field below the final summit (most years until mid summer), it is always interesting and fun. Enjoy!
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:52 am

SurfNTurf wrote:The road-hike to Lake Como is a pain, though. Start early in the morning or late in the afternoon to mitigate the heat. Good luck!

Welcome aboard... as for the above statement -find friends with 4x4s that can make shorter work of some of these trails that have a sizeable distance between the 2WD and 4WD trailhead.

(Photo of Rubi at 12,600' in the Iowa Gulch Amphitheatre; photo by THE Mongoose, Nick Gianoutsos).
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby ameristrat » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Hey Bill... wanna be friends?
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Arkenstone » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:59 pm

Me too! Hello, it's my first post.
I've been using this for a couple years but had given up on trying to register.
I have a half dozen fourteeners and a couple international trophies, plus a few outright utter failures.
But I'm happy to be outside any chance I get, life is good.
Hope to run into a few of you out west. Happy Trails

Postby Mark A Steiner » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Welcome Arkenstone. I too was a frequent visitor prior to joining. Hard to believe it has been almost five years since then. Time flies when you spend time researching others fine efforts. Information provided here is a good place to start.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby huffy13 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:24 am

Breebee wrote:Hello to all out there in cyber world! I just registered for this site, but have been a long time follower of reports and everything that goes on here! LOVE this website! So, my husband and I climbed our first 14er (Quandary) last summer. It was by far the most tiring thing I have EVER done, mentally and physically. Yet it was the most AMAZING thing I've ever done too, and need more!! :-D
This year I have set my sights on a spring climb (March) of Sherman, a summer climb of La Plata, and hopefully an early fall hike of Blanca. Just wanted to introduce myself, and to get some input/tips on those mountains, esp. Blanca as it seems to be a tougher one than the others!

Welcome to the club!!! I don't think the hike of Blanca is nearly as exhausting as the approach to Lake Como is. I did not get the summit last year because there was quite a bit of ice in places that made me very uncomfortable, plus I was still worn down from the previous day's hike from 8800' to Lake Como. b I am going back though...loved the seclusion and quiet there. Look forward to seeing you add peaks to your accomplishments!
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby Mtnman200 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:33 am

Welcome aboard! If you camp near Lake Como, be sure to take a bear canister or bear bag to keep the bears out of your food, etc. I know of at least one bear incident in 2011 at Lake Como when campers failed to properly secure food and other smellables. Have fun on Blanca... It is a fun climb.

PreviousNext