Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

4th of July trailhead conditions?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

4th of July trailhead conditions?

Postby IronLionZion » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:02 pm

Does anyone know the status of 4th of July trailhead? I would like to get out in the IPW tomorrow. I saw something from a few weeks ago suggesting that you could get within about a mile of the summer TH. Any input greatly appreciated!
Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. Psalm 17:5

Re: 4th of July trailhead conditions?

Postby twhalm » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:48 pm

I am also very curious as to the 4th of July trailhead conditions.

Any input would be great!

Postby Gphunk88 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:42 am

I'm going to attempt to revive this topic... Is there any info on the 4th of July Trailhead? I'm getting tired of training at Mt. Falcon hahaha need wilderness!!!!
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."~~~ John Muir

Postby yetibreath » Wed May 08, 2013 9:10 pm

The latest rumor is that that Boulder County will try to have the road open by May 15. It's snowing hard up there right now, so cross your fingers.

Postby ak47 » Sat May 11, 2013 6:58 am

I doubt the road will be plowed before june 1, currently you can get within about 3-4 miles of the summer th. Currently alot of snow in ipw, I would say above average for this time of year, especially up high where the snow has plastered in the past two weeks. I'm looking forward to some ipw descents too, but we're gonna have to be patient or just suck it up and slog. Brainard Lake road was bikeable in early april, hopefully it will be so again after one good warm-up.

Postby Gphunk88 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks guys. That is exactly what I was thinking but I'm sure I can survive a little longer :lol: Is there any suggestions as to any other "14er shape up" hikes such as Mt. Falcon and Bergen Peak? I've heard of some around boulder but can't remember the names. I'm not very comfortable or have that much training with hike/climbing in snow (only been once) so in the mean time I'm looking to spice up my regimen :-D
"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."~~~ John Muir

Postby flagship47 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:04 pm

A couple of "starter" hikes that I do as I warm up for 14er season (aside from Mt Falcon and Bergen Peak which I usually do as well) are Bear Peak in Boulder....

http://www.totalboulder.com/resources/42.html
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2794&Itemid=1035

The hike starts off relatively easy but either route, Shadow Canyon or Fern Canyon, is a steep ascent at the end. I usually park at the South Mesa Parking lot off Eldorado Springs Dr which does fill up quick on weekends.

Another short but sweet hike is the Manitou Incline in Manitou Springs....

http://www.hikingintherockies.com/hiking/hike%20reports/manitouincline/manitouincline.htm

Parking is very limited at the TH so you will likely have to park down in Manitou Springs....but at least you will be warmed up for the steep ascent once on the old railway. :-D

Postby Gphunk88 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:37 pm

I have heard of all of those hikes and was just looking for info on how to get to them. Thanks for the links! Much appreciated

Postby davebks » Tue May 14, 2013 2:28 pm

FYI, Shadow Canyon is closed about half way up right now due to the fire last summer.

Also, the BEST site for front range (and mountain) hikes is www.protrails.com
Check it out.

Postby smoove » Tue May 14, 2013 2:44 pm

davebks wrote:FYI, Shadow Canyon is closed about half way up right now due to the fire last summer.

But you can get to Bear Peak via the Fern Canyon trail.

Postby SikYou » Tue May 14, 2013 2:52 pm

The west ridge and fern canyon are open to Bear peak but last I checked S. Boulder peak and the upper part of shadow canyon were closed to all travel. Went up fern canyon a little over a week a go and there was still a bit of snow but it looks like its probably mostly gone now.
"Is it an up hill hike all the way to the summit?" Brian L.

Postby thebeave7 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:57 pm

SikYou wrote:The west ridge and fern canyon are open to Bear peak but last I checked S. Boulder peak and the upper part of shadow canyon were closed to all travel. Went up fern canyon a little over a week a go and there was still a bit of snow but it looks like its probably mostly gone now.

Snow melting fast in the Boulder area, but Fern is usually the last spot to melt out. I'd still expect a few patches of snow/ice, but nothing major by the weekend.
South Boulder Peak and Shadow Canyon (upper half) are still closed, but a crew of us are heading up there Saturday and Sunday to start clearing and rebuilding the trails in hopes it'll be open soon. I'll see if I can update the OSMP's plan after we do some maintenance this weekend.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

Next