Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

First Alchemist 40L Backpack

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

First Alchemist 40L Backpack

Postby my5sons » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:56 pm

Any opinions on Alchemist 40L Backpack? Anyone own one of these not to familiar with first ascent. Thanks for any input!

Re: First Alchemist 40L Backpack

Postby MonGoose » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:37 pm

I have the Alchemist 30L and I absolutely love it. It's a very comfortable and well designed pack.

Postby my5sons » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:59 am

Thanks I sent him a message!

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:44 am

I would go with expensive, heavy and ugly for starters.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby pvnisher » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:25 pm

its_not_a_tuba wrote:I would go with expensive, heavy and ugly for starters.

About seven "Your mama..." jokes just came to mind. Minus the "expensive" part.

How is your mama like an Alchemist pack? Expensive, heavy and ugly for starters.

How is your mama not like an Alchemist? No one is willing to claim First Ascent. :lol:

Postby my5sons » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Ok easy guys, :x I'm getting the picture.......I know you just sit around waiting for the newbies :-D

Postby pvnisher » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:08 pm

It seems heavy for the size. 4 lbs for 40L is too much.
If you need a 55L pack then get a 55L pack, not a 40L one that can be jury-rigged. As a 55L pack it probably wouldn't be that great or have the suspension to carry that load. But I don't have first-hand knowledge of it.

Take a look at the Mammut Trion Light. It's 40L, completely waterproof, roll-top closure with ski attachment, ax attach, etc. And weighs about 2.25 pounds. If you take off the lid (still waterproof with roll-top!), the waterproof liner, and the hipbelt for a summit attempt you get it down to about 1.5 pounds.

It's a little more money retail ($229), maybe you can find one on sale. It's my go-to pack for almost everything.

http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/251002210_v_0300_28/Trion-Light.html

Postby SurfNTurf » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:54 pm

I've never used the Alchemist 40, mostly because it seems excessively overbuilt. Waaaay too much going on. That probably has something to do with it being so heavy.

The Alchemist 30, on the other hand, is well on its way to becoming my favorite pack. Whereas everything on the Alchemist 40 is complicated and frustrating, everything on the 30L is simple and streamlined. It's my go-to winter daypack, ice climbing pack and (soon) spring couloir pack. I find myself reaching for it even when one of my other packs might be more suitable on a given day.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:47 am

Jeff - have you tried the Bacon Pack? That's the one that has my eye but I haven't seen it in person yet. I was pretty intrigued by the Alchemist when it first got announced but it just didn't do it for me when I saw it in the stores.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/produ ... hInfo=null

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:35 am

forbins_mtn wrote:Jeff - have you tried the Bacon Pack? That's the one that has my eye but I haven't seen it in person yet. I was pretty intrigued by the Alchemist when it first got announced but it just didn't do it for me when I saw it in the stores.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/produ ... hInfo=null

I've played with it. It zips into itself and packs down to almost nothing, which is pretty cool. It's light and simple at the same time as having all the key features. That said, specifically for summer 14ers, in my opinion 28L is big for a "summit pack." If you wanted to use it as a traditional daypack it would probably handle that role well.

Plus, it has the best name for a pack ever.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby IkeB » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:29 am

I have been eyeing the bacon pack as well. Where is the 1sfirst ascent outlet?

Postby dsunwall » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 am

IkeB wrote:I have been eyeing the bacon pack as well. Where is the 1sfirst ascent outlet?

there is one at Park Meadows Mall. at least there was a year ago.

Next