Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbing in New Zealand?

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA.

Climbing in New Zealand?

Postby chrismjx » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm taking a trip to New Zealand in a couple weeks and I'm wondering about climbing some peaks there. Has anyone done this? Any tips or advice? Resources for route info?

Re: Climbing in New Zealand?

Postby BobbyFinn » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:01 pm

There are some TRs on 14ers.com about New Zealand hiking. Here's one from me: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9839.

At the bottom of that report is a link to Summit Post's page for Avalanche Peak, a nice 1/2 day hike.

I'm sure SummitPost has other links to New Zealand stuff, like this one: http://www.summitpost.org/southern-alps/175979.

Bob
"Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." - Yoda
"Rudeness is a weak person's imitation of strength." - Paul Arel

Postby nyker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:23 pm

Chris, what part of the country are you headed?

Here is a report I put up last year from the Tongariro region in the North Island - definitely worth visiting.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11405&parmuser=nyker&cpgm=tripuser

Postby flylikeabeagle » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:12 pm

NZ would be an amazing place to climb. Say hi to Bret and Jemaine if you go
Can we drive any higher?

Postby griddles » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:17 am

Biggest question has already been asked; which island?
I spent 6 months on the south island walking around. One of my favorite climbs has already been mentioned. avalanche peak.
Stewart Island is worth a look as well. As are a number of places. But if you are on the north island other routes must be explored.

Postby nyker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:08 am

Also, if you are near Christchurch (South Island), drive up to Kaikoura and take one of the marine wildlife boat rides. You'll see a few different types of whales, the acrobatic dusky dolphins, the huge wandering albatross, other subantarctic birds and be in front of the great coastline the entire time. (photo 1-shows a shot from the boat with an albatross backdropped against the Kaikoura mountains)

Mount Cook area is also a real nice place worth spending a few days exploring (photos 1 and 2)
Attachments
DSC_0125-sc.jpg
DSC_0125-sc.jpg (171.17 KiB) Viewed 610 times
DSC_6569-nice.jpg
DSC_6569-nice.jpg (269.4 KiB) Viewed 610 times
DSC_7161-nice.jpg
DSC_7161-nice.jpg (253.49 KiB) Viewed 610 times

Postby GravityPilot » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:29 pm

All great suggestions so far. Avalanche Peak is in Arthur's Pass National Park, which is pretty amazing. There are some great day hikes in the area as well as some backcountry huts (more primitive than our huts here in CO), so the options for some thru hikes are good. Check out www.softrock.co.nz , good beta on that site. This is my stomping ground during their winter at good 'ol Temple Basin Ski Field. If anyone is thinking of skiing in NZ this summer come say hey.

Postby Scott P » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Kind of a vague question.

As mentioned, #1, you should state which island.

You should also mention as to whether or not you are versed with an ice axe and glacier travel.

Answers would be completely different based on the above.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Scuba Steve » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:07 pm

One of my most memorable hikes in New Zealand was an overnight stay in the Mueller Hut near Mt. Cook. Beautiful sunrise and fresh snow.

Mueller Hut.jpg
Muller Hut at Sunrise
Mueller Hut.jpg (318.12 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Postby KyleS » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:53 am

We're also headed to NZ but in a different time frame. Right now it looks like arriving end of May and staying through mid-June, then returning mid-July through the end of August. Probably not the best times for mountaineering, but any suggestions would be helpful. We're also interested in multi-day backpacking trips, even without summits. We'll have camping gear so huts aren't crucial.

We have friends in Christchurch and Queenstown so we're probably going to stick to the South Island, but there's no reason we couldn't make it up to the North Island if the climbing is better. I'm confident in our crampon/ice axe skills and we've had a little experience with two tools on somewhat vertical ice. We don't have glacier travel experience, although we're planning on practicing skills a bit this spring around Colorado... And we have no experience in building rock or ice protection.

Thanks!

Postby Scott P » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:12 am

That time of year, I'd suggest Abel Tasman. Kepler and Routeburn tracks are done that time of year too, but of course you have to go well prepared. Trekking up to Hooker Glacier in the Mt Cook area will be spectacular if you can hit it during good weather.

For summits without glacier travel, some possibilities would be Mt Luxmore on the South Island, and Taranaki, Ngauruhoe, Ruapehu, and Tongariro on the North Island.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Wyoming Bob » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:42 pm

If one is in Queenstown and wants a Bierstadt equivalent w/o the altitude and with 3000 ft. of vertical . . . couple of hours out . . . above treeline . . . with a view at the end . . . consider Ben Lomand. Perfect half day activity if the rest of the crew is doing the adrenaline gig or shopping, etc.

Trip Report HERE if interested.
Attachments
lomand1.jpg
lomand1.jpg (198.99 KiB) Viewed 727 times
Wyoming Bob
www.climbingwithbob.com
Win some . . . lose some . . . CaSO4.2H2O.

Next