Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Help Choosing Softshell Jacket

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Help Choosing Softshell Jacket

Postby pvnisher » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:06 pm

1) Don't get an insulated softshell.
2) get one with a hood (bonus points for helmet compatibility)
3) get one with pitzips
4) For more strenuous activities that are longer-term (like hiking uphill for hours), a non-membraned jacket is your friend.
5) for activities where you frequently get water dripping on you, or the snow falls and melts on you, then a membrane is better (more water resistance, although less vapor permeable)

For CO winter hiking I would get a non-membraned, tightly woven DWR-treated fabric like most anything from Schoeller or a Powershield piece.

For ice climbing, skiing, or more varied use (PNW, etc) I'd get Windstopper.

I have the Mammut Ultimate hoody and love it for the pitzips from bicep to hem. It makes up for it being membraned and a little less breathable. Bigger zips are better than more breathable fabric. If I had to pick one jacket to take on a trip, it'd be that one.

But let's all be honest. This is just the first of many, many jackets that will soon crowd your wardrobe.

Postby schrund » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:21 pm

I went through this same process the past few seasons, and just this season got a Rab Exodus: http://us.rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/soft-shell/exodus-jacket.html Really love it and it wasn't that expensive~
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby ceejay » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:56 pm

dsunwall wrote:I suggest you hire a mountaineering clothing consultant, a pro who knows all the latest fabrics and brands. That way you will get all the right stuff tailored to your needs and you won't have paid too much for something you will wear only once but spent 3 months researching for just the right jacket only to find out something better is now on the market. :faint:

D man, you made me laugh out loud with that one. Thank you. :mrgreen:

Postby Mike8000m » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Marmot Kingpin jacket is great.

Postby winmag4582001 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:58 pm

I bought this for myself.
http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-radish-mid-layer-fleece-jacket-mens
I got this for my son and I.
http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-cipher-windstopper-jacket-mens

I like TNF products and thier service. Both jackets have served well with the Radish being totally amazing.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby bking14ers » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:33 pm

I just bought a Marmot Polartec Neoshell. I think it is the same as my softshell, except the Neoshell is waterproof. I used it the first time this weekend camping. So far so good. And it was only $200 bucks.

Previous