Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What about boots?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: What about boots?

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:55 pm

bahahaha!

Postby Fire_on_High » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:09 pm

Any suggestions for CO summer boots? I looked at a number of the boots mentioned on this thread, pretty much all of which are well outside my price range....one pair I looked at was about $300 and all the reviews said it was a pretty decent boot that would *probably* last a good while (with proper maintenance), so that's was pretty close to what I'm thinking. I'm very new to the hiking/climbing thing, so while I would burn 7 or 8 hundred bucks on boots if I had the cash, that's not feasible.

Postby cory1223oh » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Fire_on_High wrote:Any suggestions for CO summer boots? I looked at a number of the boots mentioned on this thread, pretty much all of which are well outside my price range....one pair I looked at was about $300 and all the reviews said it was a pretty decent boot that would *probably* last a good while (with proper maintenance), so that's was pretty close to what I'm thinking. I'm very new to the hiking/climbing thing, so while I would burn 7 or 8 hundred bucks on boots if I had the cash, that's not feasible.

If you are just talking about doing regular hiking and climbing in the summer (i.e. not using crampons) you don't need a $300+ mountaineering boot. They will be really stiff and uncomfortable for what you're talking about.

Some people on this site will tell you to wear just regular hiking boots and others recommend trail runners. The boots I have (and love) fall somewhere in between. They are a lightweight high-top boot with good support on a trail runner platform. I happen to like the extra piece of mind the ankle support provides. I would hate to roll an ankle 8 miles from the car. Here's the link to what I have: http://www.backcountry.com/salomon-quest-4d-gtx-hiking-boot-mens . I would go with whatever fits you best and you feel comfortable in. Heck, you could even wear a pair of regular tennis shoes on some of the easier 14ers if you wanted to. Although, they'd likely be lacking in traction.

Postby Fire_on_High » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Thanks, Cory, I really appreciate the advice. That's the problem with being a noob! I was starting to think I needed crampon boots for summer, non-technical climbs....fail on me, which of course isn't even common sense. And yes, I believe I'd be rather put out pulling an ankle role anywhere but in my house....

Postby MuchosPixels » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:27 am

forbins_mtn wrote:I think my girlfriend is lurking the website. She bought me Evo's for valentine's day and couldn't wait to give them to me.

Now the question is: do I marry this girl, or what?

Yes, she is a keeper! =D>

Postby cory1223oh » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:14 am

Fire_on_High wrote:Thanks, Cory, I really appreciate the advice. That's the problem with being a noob! I was starting to think I needed crampon boots for summer, non-technical climbs....fail on me, which of course isn't even common sense. And yes, I believe I'd be rather put out pulling an ankle role anywhere but in my house....

No problem. And for what it's worth, I'd consider myself fairly noob as well, only having done one summer of climbing 14ers as well as a "winterish" ascent of Huron Peak in late fall. While, I can't comment on the long term durability of the boots I recommended, I can say that they have held up great so far and I don't foresee myself getting new boots anytime soon. My suggestion would be not to spend too much on your first pair until you know what you like and what works for you. Also, buy them from Backcountry.com or REI or somewhere else with a good return policy in case they don't work with your feet. I also won't pay full price for anything. If you're patient you can usually find some kind of discount.

Hope you have a great summer this year. It's amazing how much I've learned in this past year just by getting out and doing it and being on this site. The people on here are really a great wealth of knowledge.

Postby ceejay » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:08 am

I have used all kinds of boots over the last several decades. They just keep getting better. My current favorites are these Salomons: http://www.backcountry.com/salomon-cosmic-4d-gtx-backcpacking-boot-mens.

Extremely lightweight, gore-tex, good support. I use them all year round, including winter 14ers. Great boots. I'm about to buy my third pair, even though I have 2 usable pairs now. I'm afraid they will change them.
If you climb mountains every weekend, you will wear these out in 2-3 years. Not cheap but worth it.

Postby Peak_One » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:23 am

I like the mid-height (5 or 6 inch) lightweight gore-tex boots, such as the one mentioned by salomon. My first pair, a Danner 453GTX (which is actually fairly heavy) became my go-to boot for 3.5 seasons of New Hampshire and Colorado (usually 3 hiking trips per season). They're actually not waterproof anymore, have popped an eyelet on both sides, and have been worn down smooth on the bottom.

I'm going to try a Vasque Breeze GTX next- already have it bought. I really love the ankle support of the mid-heights, and light weight is pretty important. After three hard trips to CO last summer, I managed to sprain an ankle cross country running here at home. I'm thinking the support really did help in the mountains.
"The best climber in the world is the one having the most fun!"- Alex Lowe.

Postby apasquel » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:17 pm

Team forum...really need input. I've been at it for the last week or so and jut can't make up my mind. This is what I want...don't know if its possible:

Want a pair of GTX boots I can strap crampon on to climb class 3 snow terrain (like Shasta and colorado winter 14 ers) and then be able to use same boot to backpack in cold conditions comfortably, maybe strapping on micro spikes or just slushing through snow. I really don't want to buy mountaineer boots...I don't want to spend 300/400 dollars on boots I won't use very much. Know what I mean...

I'm willing to wear an insulated, maybe stiffer backpacking boot with heavier, thicker socks...I just not know how they will work with crampons.

Please help...don't want to spend a lot of money and the crampons not stay on while going up Shasta this summer.

Postby Mike8000m » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:32 pm

I may throw a monkey wrench in your whole shopping here. I use the Danner Mountain Light Hiker II boots. I use them mostly in Colorado and especially for winter. No insulation, will hold a crampon. And you can use them for much more than just winter mountaineering. I think they are a great all around option.

Previous