Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Boot resole

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Boot resole

Postby PeteDunnewald » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:23 pm

Does anyone have any experience (and hopefully good results) with replacing the soles on your hiking boots? It seems like a shame to toss them when the rest of the boot still seems to be in good shape.

Pete

Re: Boot resole

Postby ski2bfree13 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 pm

I've had good luck with Dardano's in replacing Vibram soles.

www.dardanos.com/
"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end is disaster." ~ Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)

Postby DaveSwink » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:54 pm

Approximately how much did a Vibram boot resole cost?

Postby DaveLanders » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:08 pm

I've been using Komito's in Estes Park for many years. It usually costs $50-60 for a resole;
obviously much cheaper than a new pair of boots.

Postby GregMiller » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:47 pm

I've used Perry's Shoe Shop up in Boulder, and I think it was somewhere in the $40-$50 range. I had the same thing where my soles were worn flat, but the rest of the boot was fine (this happens with vibrams).

EDIT to say, I've been very happy with the results so far.

Postby Fisching » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:49 pm

DaveSwink wrote:Approximately how much did a Vibram boot resole cost?

I called a few shops around Colorado Springs this summer and the general price range was $55-65 for Vibram.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby rijaca » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:53 pm

There is a place in Golden on S Golden Rd (can't remember the name) that has charged me $60 in the past to replace Vibram soles on boots.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Jon Frohlich » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:50 pm

DaveLanders wrote:I've been using Komito's in Estes Park for many years. It usually costs $50-60 for a resole;
obviously much cheaper than a new pair of boots.

I've used him more than once and had great results. Neptune's will send boots to him so you don't have to drive to Estes Park. It usually takes about 7-10 days.

Postby carson_h » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Don't use Rocky Mountain Resole in Salida. They actually damaged my double boots then refused to even give me a refund on the resole!

Postby Weegie5 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:54 pm

rijaca wrote:There is a place in Golden on S Golden Rd (can't remember the name) that has charged me $60 in the past to replace Vibram soles on boots.

That's B & Be Shoe Repair. That guy (I forget his name) does great work on all shoes. I took my hiking boots there after the sole blew out on Rainier and he restored them. He waterproofed that same pair for me as well. He's also done some great work for some of my non-hiking footwear, like dress shoes.

I highly recommend B & Be.
~James

Postby Waggs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Fisching wrote:

I called a few shops around Colorado Springs this summer and the general price range was $55-65 for Vibram.

Which shops did you call? Mine need to be resoled, and I've been thinking about sending them to this dude.

He seems to have a phenomenal reputation.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby realhillboarding » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:48 pm

Waggs wrote:
Fisching wrote:

Which shops did you call? Mine need to be resoled, and I've been thinking about sending them to this dude.

He seems to have a phenomenal reputation.

Waggs

Dave Page resoled my Asolo Powermatics and did a great job, but its the only pair of boots I've had resoled so I don't have anything to compare to.

Next