Lincoln/Bross route question

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jdawud
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Lincoln/Bross route question

Post by jdawud »

I'm fine using the Kite Lake Loop, I just want to make sure I'm not going to run into closure issues with Lincoln, Cameron, and Democrat this summer. The "public summit" of Bross looks to be literally a stone's throw from the true summit. I guess standing 'in front of the fence' and throwing a rock will have to do. ;)
Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
http://www.14ersthruhike.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

For what it's worth...
Mount Lincoln 017.jpg
Mount Lincoln 017.jpg (90.74 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Mount Lincoln 019.jpg
Mount Lincoln 019.jpg (90.93 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Mount Lincoln 028.jpg
Mount Lincoln 028.jpg (77 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Of course, when I was up there in December, there was a guy trying to drive his truck up the hill behind the toilet. :lol:
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

If you get to the closure sign (there's no fence), and there's nobody around who looks like an owner, go for it. The minimum fine for third degree trespassing in Colorado is only $100, so it's no more expensive than climbing Culebra. :-"
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jdawud
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jdawud »

On a related note, I've read through the "official" thread on the 4 peaks but seem unable to find a concise answer to WHO has ACTUALLY restricted access to Bross. (Its a long thread, so perhaps i just missed it) I know that they were all closed in 2006(?) due to issues with Lincoln. All that stuff was settled and 3 of the 4 were opened via the Kite Lake loop. What I can't seem to find out is whether Bross remains closed by virtue of the fact that none of the groups trying to "secure access" have been able to get a "yes" vote from ALL owners, or whether it is closed because there are known owners who have said "no". Since 100% must say "yes" in order for it to officially have "secure access", one "No" is functionally the same as not being able to get a "yes" from as little as one unreachable party.

Does anyone know which is the case?
Junaid 'Speshul 41' Dawud
http://www.14ersthruhike.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Ahhh, always love these Bross access discussions... \:D/
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Steve Bonowski is the best-informed on this matter. I still haven't seen a statement saying "owner X on Bross wants people to stay out", just that some of the Bross owners are "well known" (see his response above).

The last time we were up there, we ran into a guy on an ATV who said his family partially owned one of the Bross summit claims, and he wanted to see it. We asked him for permission to go to the summit and he said "sure". :)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
AlexMack
14ers: 30  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexMack »

They should build it up. Put a hot tub up there.
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." - Evan Hardin
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

AlexMack wrote:They should build it up. Put a hot tub up there.
Or they can just talk about it a lot and set one up in the parking lot instead.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

I'm just glad that the mountains that have the most access issues (Decalibron + Culebra) aren't ones that I give 2 sh!+s about. [-(
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I thought they havent been able to track down several of the Bross deed owners, so its been kind of ignored.
One of the living, legal owners would probably have execute a costly and time consuming court case to clean up and acquire the dead deeds.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Jim Davies wrote:The minimum fine for third degree trespassing in Colorado is only $100
Would that hold for most other private mountains?
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
gdthomas
Trip Reports (3)

Post by gdthomas »

Jim Davies wrote:...The minimum fine for third degree trespassing in Colorado is only $100, so it's no more expensive than climbing Culebra. :-"
Actually, third degree criminal trespass is a class 1 petty offense (with exceptions)(CRS 18-4-504(2)) the penalty for which "is a fine of not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisonment for not more than six months other than in state correctional facilities, or both." CRS 18-1.3-503(1).