What are you reading?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JE242
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What are you reading?

Post by JE242 »

Concrete, Bulletproof, Invisible and fried: My Life as a Revolting Cock -The autobiography of Chris Connelly. (RevCo, Ministry, Pigface)
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I'm currently working my way through Fred Beckey's 100 Favorite North American Climbs, which I won in a contest from gb's blog (sponsored by Patagonia - thanks, Frank!). This is a massive, impressive, coffee-table book; be sure to warm up before trying to lift it. The preface is a climbing bio of Beckey, who must be the greatest American climber ever, starting with a 47-day expedition to do the second ascent of Mount Waddington at age 18, accompanied by his 16-year-old brother! I haven't read many of the individual route descriptions, but they're generally well-illustrated and have interesting stories. It will probably take me years to skim my way through the individual route descriptions, but it'll be fun (I'm unlikely to ever climb any of them). Available as an e-book if you don't have the storage space. :)

One interesting feature is the detailed route descriptions and guidebook-like access and caveats on each climb. I'm trying to imagine anyone carrying this book on a climb, and failing.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

I just finished "Surviving Survival" by Laurence Gonzales (author of "Deep Survival").
This one is about how people deal with the aftermath of traumatic experiences.
If you liked "Deep Survival", you might enjoy "Surviving Survival".
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Right now I'm reading a whole bunch of books as reference material for a book that I'm writing, so no reading "for fun" :(

But my favorite adventure book is "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing, which chronicles Ernest Shackleton's 1914 attempt to cross Antarctica. So I was very interested in reading about the recent reenactment of his crew's voyage/climb/near-disaster by a British-Australian team. There are a bunch of stories about it online, including This One. There's a documentary about the original journey posted at the bottom of the page. It looks like the one I have on DVD, which is very good.
kansas
Trip Reports (4)

Post by kansas »

susanjoypaul wrote: But my favorite adventure book is "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing, which chronicles Ernest Shackleton's 1914 attempt to cross Antarctica.
At Fletch's insistence, I just finished this one.

I'd have to say it's near the top of my list, if not the top. Never again will I feel like I have the right to complain or whine about much of anything.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I read "Endurance" over the Christmas break and found it unbelievable what those guys went through. It truly is an amazing story.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Jim Davies wrote:I'm currently working my way through Fred Beckey's 100 Favorite North American Climbs, which I won in a contest from gb's blog (sponsored by Patagonia - thanks, Frank!). This is a massive, impressive, coffee-table book; be sure to warm up before trying to lift it. The preface is a climbing bio of Beckey, who must be the greatest American climber ever, starting with a 47-day expedition to do the second ascent of Mount Waddington at age 18, accompanied by his 16-year-old brother! I haven't read many of the individual route descriptions, but they're generally well-illustrated and have interesting stories. It will probably take me years to skim my way through the individual route descriptions, but it'll be fun (I'm unlikely to ever climb any of them). Available as an e-book if you don't have the storage space. :)

One interesting feature is the detailed route descriptions and guidebook-like access and caveats on each climb. I'm trying to imagine anyone carrying this book on a climb, and failing.
Glad you're enjoying it!

Currently on an Afghanistan kick- Finished "The places in between" a while back- the author walks across Afghanistan alone right after 9/11.

Now I'm reading "Ghost wars", basically an overview of the tug of war between Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, the USSR, and the USA for virtual control of Afghanistan.
Flips
13ers: 101 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flips »

Finished Altas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Always wanted to read this sucker because I heard it referred to so much. Sounds intimidating... a 1000 page book that integrates her philosophies of ethics, metaphysics, epistemology, politics, economics and sex, but really a fun read that keeps you going chapter to chapter. Interesting to note that Colorado is a main setting along with New York and Philadephia. Each named character is important, so pay attention to their roles and don't dismiss any as incidental.
Unlike Andrew Hamilton, I’m not always hiking. Sometimes I’m sleeping.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

I finished The Lost Cyclist a few months ago and recommend it highly.

Just finished When the Rivers Run Dry and also enjoyed it. I was worried it would rehash Reisner's Cadillac Desert, but it takes a more global view. If you are interested in water policy, read both.
Jim Davies
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Hungry Jack wrote:Just finished When the Rivers Run Dry and also enjoyed it. I was worried it would rehash Reisner's Cadillac Desert, but it takes a more global view. If you are interested in water policy, read both.
Coincidentally, I just read a Mountain Gazette article that proposes a more pragmatic view of our water management policies.
The Colorado: First River of the Anthropocene by George Sibley.
Jonathan Waterman’s recent book, “Running Dry: A Journey from Source to Sea Down the Colorado River,” hit the tipping point for me. Not because it’s any worse than any of the rest of the books about the Colorado River; it’s not. But it’s just the same old sad story, a mingling of lamentation, nostalgia and repugnance for a river presumed to be ruined if we don’t stop … whatever.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Hungry Jack
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

I should also add that Little Hungry (age 2.5) and I read Cat in the Hat last night. It is an epic tale of adventure that you should read before you leave this earthly plane.
please rotate your device
Hungry Jack
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

kansas wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote: But my favorite adventure book is "Endurance" by Alfred Lansing, which chronicles Ernest Shackleton's 1914 attempt to cross Antarctica.
At Fletch's insistence, I just finished this one.

I'd have to say it's near the top of my list, if not the top. Never again will I feel like I have the right to complain or whine about much of anything.
That story is stunning. The sea journey from Elephant Island to South Georgia Island alone is mind-bending enough. The fact that the entire crew survived has to put it on par, if not above, the survival of the Corps of Discovery.
please rotate your device