Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What are your Summer 14er goals?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: What are your Summer 14er goals?

Postby CaptPenner » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:48 pm

My summer 2013 Goal is to climb another 14er, or even maybe two!!. Maybe Pikes this year with a buddy of mine at the USAFA. Being that I live on the east coast I set me expectations low.

Postby Randy G. » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:40 pm

I the past few years I've spent very little time climbing. My schedule would not allow any trip longer than 12 hours. Well, that has changed. I now work every Monday, Tuesday and Wenesday having 4 days a week off. My goal is to spend at least 3 days a week climbing.

February
Pikes Peak - Up and over. (Barr trail up and then down to the Crags Camp Ground)

March
Mt Cameron
Mt Bross
Mt Democrat
Mt Lincoln

April
Quandary Peak
Mt Princeton
Mt Elbert
Mt Massive

May
This will be Do-Over month for any near misses.

June
Crestone Peak
Crestone Needle
Challenger Point
Kit Carson Peak

July
Windom Peak
Sunlight Peak
Mt Eolus
Blanca Peak
Ellingwood Point
Mt Lindsey
Little Bear Peak

August
Longs Peak
Do-Overs
Will See!
"There is no escape from a passion like climbing, even though it may be the path to death"

Postby Mike Cormier » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:11 pm

I'd like to finish the 14ers this year.

Elks - Capitol, Snowmass
San Juans - Mt. Wilson, El Diente, Mt. Eolus, Windom, Sunlight, N. Eolus, Wilson Peak
Sangre de Cristo - Blanca, Kit Carson, Challenger Pt., Culebra, Ellingwood Pt., Little Bear

This ambitious (for me) plan means that I will have to do do some backpacking and tent-camping, which will be a first for me. Up to this point, I've been a truck-camping, day-hiking kind of guy. I'm looking forward to taking this next step in experiencing the glories of outdoor Colorado. I just wish I had moved here 30 years ago, as opposed to 5. C'est la vie....

Postby Faldron » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:04 am

Original plan up until a week ago was to finish the 14ers. Having 40 left, and living near Chicago, I was going to take 10 weeks off of work and knock em all out this Summer. However, it's questionable whether that will happen now. Circumstances at work changed and it might not be possible, unless I want to take a chance of not having a job when I return :-k

Regardless, Rainier is in the picture for early September. It will be my first glacier travel experience and I'm going guided, so I plan on asking a lot of questions and learning as much as I can from them. Hopefully, I'll still get a week or two (if not 10) of Colorado 14ers in at some point.

Postby justiner » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:36 am

Ride my bicycle to a few more 14ers: Close out the Front Range w/Longs (ridden to it and started, just didn't summit).

And figure out some of the logistics of more spicier 14ers with an approach by bike: Elks, Chicago Basin, etc. The challenge is to go UL enough to make it realistic, yet schlep enough gear to do three, disparate activities (cycling, hiking/scrambling, camping) safely. Lots of conditioning, as well.

Take it from there.
The Long Ranger | STRAVA

"Any effort that has self-glorification as its final endpoint is bound to end in disaster" - Pirsig

Postby Craig Cook » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:15 am

My one and only trip out to Colorado this summer is for a family vacation, so I'll only get to sneak in two 14er climbs.

My first will be re-attempting Quandary, after getting chased off last summer by a nasty thunderstorm right before reaching the summit. I'll also be hiking with a good friend who will be attempting his first 14er. Can't go wrong with Quandary for that.

The second will be the SW ridge on Mt. Sneffels, which will be my first class 3 climb. Some experienced members here have graciously offered to go with me on this excursion, and I couldn't be more excited about the opportunity.

Non-14er related, but I also plan on hiking with the family up to Glass Lake & Sky Pond in RMNP. From what I've seen, it looks like an absolutely stunning area.
Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Postby Lemmiwinks » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:19 am

Craig Cook wrote:Non-14er related, but I also plan on hiking with the family up to Glass Lake & Sky Pond in RMNP. From what I've seen, it looks like an absolutely stunning area.

It really is a great lake hike. One of my favorite places in RMNP.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby iholdthepain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Finalized plans to stay in Estes Park during the week of the full moon in July... Plan on spending time in and around the Longs cirque, made it to the Keyhole last summer before turning around due to weather... Hope to summit this year... Maybe even venture through the Iron Gates and around Clark's Arrow...

2nd priority is to go up to Sky Pond or summit Hallet...

Wish I could do more... Making the trip every summer now just to get some of it out of my system... Most of the year I just live vicariously through 14ers.com It truly IS God's country up there in the high country!

Postby jeffs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Tornadoman wrote:
jeffs wrote:
Tornadoman wrote:North Maroon, Pyramid & Capitol (Mid-Summer trip)

I'd be interested in these also, let me know when, and maybe our paths would cross....

Cool! Maybe we should do a Wichita area 14ers meeting again too!

Stearman Bar & Grill! Be there.....
Hey, it's flat up here?!

Postby The Turtle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Segment 15 through 21 of The Colorado Trail 104.9 miles. Reclimb at least 2 14'ers class 1 or 2 and Maybe.......Maybe Ellingwood.

Postby jdawud » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:10 pm

My goal is to summit all 58 of the 14ers as a thru-hike. I'll be starting on Culebra and (hopefully) ending on Longs. It'll be about 1200 miles and take around 60 days. It's going to be grueling and fun!

www.14ersthruhike.com

Postby Weegie5 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:50 pm

jdawud wrote:My goal is to summit all 58 of the 14ers as a thru-hike. I'll be starting on Culebra and (hopefully) ending on Longs. It'll be about 1200 miles and take around 60 days. It's going to be grueling and fun!

www.14ersthruhike.com

Wow! That sounds like quite an undertaking. It'll be great to follow your progress.

Best of luck!!
~James

PreviousNext